Chapter 11: Two Motherly Hens

When I enter the tower rooms, the wives are nowhere to be seen. Everything is in it's usual place. It's all quiet. "Hello?" I call out. "In here!" A voice comes through from the wall. I walk through the door into the bedroom, and Athenadora is painting her nails, sitting at her desk, on her side of the room.

"My my, you're up early," She smiles approval. "You were an hour late the last time you saw us." She smiles again.
"It's only 9:30. I'm impressed." She finishes painting her last nail, which have all been painted a bright shade of red. "What do you think?" She holds out her hand like a fan. "Like the colour?" She asks. "Uh, I'm not great with girl talk. I don't paint my nails much," I shrug.

"You don't have any nail to paint," She tuts, looking down at my bitten nails. "The colour is nice, I guess." I try an attempt of complimenting her, and she smiles proudly. "Yes it is. It matches my eyes," She peers in the mirror for a second, then turns to look at me. "We didn't summon you. Do you have a message for me? Does Caius wish to see me?" She gives a look of hope.

"Uh, no. I came to speak with you. Something happened earlier....with Marcus," I say slowly. She takes me by the hand and leads me back into the living room, sitting me on the L-shaped couch. She pulls out a bottle of wine and pours two glasses which seemingly appear out of nowhere. "So tell tell tell," She waves her hand extravangantly as she passes me my glass.

The main door opening announces Sulpicia's arrival. "Ah, Sulpicia, you're just in time. Lee has something to share with us. About Marcus." Sulpicia's eyes narrow at Athenadora's brief summary, before sitting beside her on the sofa and taking a glass of wine Thena has poured for her. She takes a sip before clasping it in her hands.

"Go on," She encourages. "Well...I had a weird counselling session with Marcus earlier, and afterwards, he....told me he'd fix me, make me happy. And he....uh...kissed my neck." I trail off to see their reactions. They both look intrigued and a little excited.
"And how did you feel afterwards?" Sulpicia asks, leaning forward. "My heart's still pounding," I admit, and their faces light up.

"I think, you may have feelings for Marcus," Sulpicia announces. Athenadora nods agreement. "What? I hardly know the guy! He's at least fifty for a start!" I take a sip of wine. Alcohol, let's hope it treats me nicely this time. "He was actually quite young when he was turned," Sulpicia murmurs. "But Didyme's death look a toll on him. Tradegy does that to you. It can make anyone look a lot older." She says.

"When you said he was a musician, what instruments did he like playing?" I question, intrigued. "Oh, piano mainly. It was his wedding present." Athenadora smiles at the memory. "Were you at the wedding?" I ask and they both nod. "Of course! It was a glorious night, but such a short lived romance." Sulpicia shakes her head sadly. A moment passes and she sits up again and smiles at me. "Either way, I think you should ask Marcus on an evening out," Sulpicia advises.

"Isn't that the man's job?" I drink more wine. "You're not an average woman, Lee. I'm sure you'll manage. How diffcult can it be?" Athenadora says, as she saunters off to the bedroom, before coming back in with a small business card, she hands it to me. "It's a small florist's shop in town. Find someone to drive you if you're not good with directions. Marcus loves lilies, that's the first step." She smiles and I nod gratefully, before placing the card in my breast pocket.

"Aren't you going to say thank you?" She purses her lips. "Lee doesn't use manners," Sulpicia sighs disapprovingly. "I nodded at you, that should be enough," I down the rest of my wine. "Well what are you waiting for?" Athenadora pulls me off the couch. "Get to the florists, and tell us Marcus's response later!" She exclaims and pushes me out the door.

Well a trip to town it is.

The city is a lot larger than I remembered. Of course, the last time I was on foot in the city, was when I was drunk. I notice the club the party was held at and try not to laugh. I even walk through the alleyway I almost got killed at. I guess that night was the start of my new beginning. I had nobody, and now I have my two mother hens, (aka Athenadora and Sulpicia) and Marcus. Marcus. Marcus. Even his name sets me off in some weird way. A strange warm tingling sensation I've never had before.

Some strange, unexplored part of my body yearns for his touch. To feel his body against mine, would be...a pleasure I guess. That part of my neck still tingles from where he kissed me. Would I like him to kiss me again? Do I even want to have a relationship? Would he want me? I thought Didyme was the only one for him. Five minutes in, I've reached the florists, the sign is a lilac colour and has Mario's Flowers in bright letters.

Walking in, an Italian man greets me at the counter. "Good morning, young man! What can I get you?" He asks in a cheery voice. He's seems so sweet and happy, I can't be bothered to correct him on my gender. Like that matters right now. "Uh...hi. I'm looking to buy some lilies." I peer around the shop from them. "Of course! How are these?" He reaches for a bunch under the counter, startingly white and fresh smelling. "They're great, how much?" I pull out my credit card.

"That will be €5 please," He hands me the card machine and I type my pin in. "Great doing business with you," I nod and get ready to leave. "Are they for your partner?" He asks. I turn back. "Uh..yeah, he's...something like that. I'm about to find out " And with that, I make my way home.