[04] sunshine, starlight.

SUNSHINE

STARLIGHT

☀ + ★ 

❝ASK ME WHY

❝ASK ME WHY.❞
— S.Z

PART II  :

❝Will you calm down?❞ I sheepishly breathe out, annoyed by Samantha's constant fidgeting and need to look back every two seconds. 

   Does she not trust me anymore?

   ❝I want to lose control.❞ She quietly whispers as we come into Las Vegas strip, heavily slowed down by the traffic. As I turn to face her, a question mark forms in my mind.

  All her life, Samantha's been nothing but a control freak. While her emotions can drastically swing from day to day, she always has the ability and will-power to keep herself in check.

   There's no need for a hero in Samantha's story because whenever I've found myself wanting to help her, she's saving herself while simultaneously saving someone else.

   Without giving it much thought, I sigh. ❝Lose control then.❞ I say, immediately after regretting my impulsive decision as she leaves the car seat and walks through traffic.

   ❝Samantha!❞ I shout, torn between blowing my cover by nearby cars that seem to recognize me as I peak my head out the window.

   Rolling my windows up, I confine myself to my dark tinted car and concerned thoughts. ❝Here.❞ She says, crashing back down onto the passenger seat as she slams the door shut. 

   I sit there blinking, wanting to shout and turn into anger until I see the black fabric on my lap. ❝It's all I could find.❞ Samantha says as I hold up the, I ♡ Las Vegas shirt. 

   A small thank you I mumble, throwing the shirt on as she keeps a helpful hand on the steering wheel. ❝Samantha, maybe you shouldn't -

   ❝I  want to drink.❞

   She interrupts, staring at me expectantly as I scoff. ❝Here.❞ I say, playing smart as I hand her a water bottle from the cup holder. Despite knowingly alert that what she meant was alcohol, I keep quiet and hope she doesn't insist on it.

   One Samantha sets her mind on something, there's no going back.

   ❝We're in Las Vegas! C'mon, let's go have fun!❞ Steen begs, tugging on my sleeve as I focus on the traffic, barely moving a couple feet. ❝I don't drink and you know that.❞ I say as she falls back onto her seat, arms crossed.

   Without meaning to, I say a little more than I should have to an already emotionally distressed Samantha. ❝Why can't you be more like your brother or me? Is drinking really that necessary to you?❞