01.

╔═══════════╗

'𝙏𝙍𝙐𝙎𝙏 𝙈𝙀,
𝘿𝘼𝙍𝙇𝙄𝙉𝙂.'

╚═════♡═════╝

Victoria Owen walked through the murky streets of Small Heath, the air was thick with smog

Victoria Owen walked through the murky streets of Small Heath, the air was thick with smog. Men were hard at work, everything was dull and grey with no sign of real life. She stuck out like a sore thumb, people stopped what they were doing just to take a look at her. Evidentially, ladies like her didn't belong in places like Small Heath.

Several weeks had passed by since Victoria had last heard from her older brother and even longer since she had seen him in person. She knew this wasn't like him at all. Instead of letting more time pass waiting around for him to get in contact, she decided to go and look for him herself. So, every day since then she would board a train from London and visit the location from his last letter, Birmingham.

This had been her fourth day and she had narrowed down her search to Small Heath. Victoria had already asked several people if they had seen her brother but they all hesitated before muttering that they knew nothing of it. There had been no other signs either, the more that time passed, the more that worry began to fill up through her. But she couldn't give up hope, not yet.

"Is everything alright m'dear? You look lost." Said a voice from behind her. Upon turning to face her she was met by a women of class and grace, but there was an element of power in her too. There was something quite intimidating about her.

"I'm Elizabeth Gray, but my boys just call me Polly. My family and I pretty much run this town and we know about most things that happen throughout Small Heath. So is there anything I can help you with?" The lady spoke with a raised eyebrow.

Victoria cleared her throat and nodded, "I'm Victoria Owen. My brother used to live around this area, only I haven't heard from him in months. I came looking for him. His name is Dan-..." Before she could finished her sentence, Polly's face dropped when she mentioned her own name. But Polly knew she couldn't be the one to tell her, it was down to one person to deliver the devastating blow and one person only.

"I know who you're looking for, you best come with me." Polly nodded sternly. Victoria's mother always warned her about talking to strangers, let alone walking off in an unknown place with them. But it had been the first lead to finding her brother, so she had no choice but to follow the lady.

Both ladies stayed silent as they walked together along the pathway. After a few minutes had passed by, Polly eventually stopped walking, Victoria coming to a halt by her side. They had stopped just outside a house, she could tell this house had character and held its secrets amongst the walls.

"This is the Shelby household." Polly informed as they walked up towards the door. "And who lives here then?" Victoria asked with a raised eyebrow, still hopefully for answers. Polly cleared her throat and opened the door, holding it open for her. "Here lives three of my four nephews, Arthur, Thomas and Finn. My niece Ada and my son Michael. My other nephew John, lives next door with his four children. But it will be Thomas that you need to speak to."