Chapter 1. Meeting Rage

Scarlett

I'll be long gone one day. Maybe just a memory that passes you by once in a while. But you... You will forever be alive in my poems. Forever known by my poems. Forever heartbreaking in my poems...

I woke up with a terrible migraine and the first thing I did was stare at the black studded heels that I impulsively purchased last night.
I sighed heavily. When will you learn Scarlett Rose Francis?
My credit card bills were piling up and I just had to buy something as expensive as these black studded heels.

I would have returned it to the store but I was too embarrassed to do so. Sighing again, I got up to get ready for my shitty job that paid our bills...

"Stop being a princess and get yo ass back to work" Steve chuckles, making me roll my eyes.

"Look who's talking" I mumble. He chuckles and goes back to making a steak in the kitchen.

I work as a waitress at this retro-style diner with Steve, the cook and Michelle, another waitress. Then there was Moose, our boss, who currently has a frown on his face as he counts the bills at the counter. 

He hates me. I hate him. We hate him.

"I heard that." Moose shouts from the counter. His parents sure hated him with a passion to name him 'Moose'. Well can't really blame them, with those beady large eyes and a nose long enough to hold a Christmas tree ornament, he does look like Moose.

I cringe. I might have expressed my hatred for him, loudly. 

I tend to do that, guys. You'll get used to it.

I duck and pretend to fold napkins while Moose fumes. 

Well, Scarlett you have officially reached a point in your twenty-three years of life where you can call yourself the boring rude waitress, I thought to myself as I scowl at a kid tearing off sugar packets and laying them down in a line on the table while his mother is stuffing down a cheeseburger. Learning to become a drug dealer hmm... 

I wish I could make him clean that crap up just so he knows what a hard time he is giving me with his work of art. I wonder where did he learn to do this. looks like someone has been doing cocaine in front of him. 

But that's impossible. Not here. Not in this country. This country is way too safe and too anti-drug to be influencing this child. He must have seen it in a movie or something. Which is more concerning, I guess. 

I hit myself on the forehead. Scarlett, would you ever stop thinking of drugs, it's been TWO FUCKING YEARS! 

I whine behind the counter banging my head on the wooden platform.

"Yo princess," Steve calls out as he dings the bell indicating the steak is ready. 

I smile at Steve, he always calls me a princess because he feels that I don't belong in this diner. 

Well too bad, life isn't fair to us all. 

I snap out of my self-loathing and grab the plate from him and put it in a tray with the chicken salad. I make my way towards the booths where customers eat. 

The first one is empty.
The second one is where the stupid kid is ruining my life while his mother is busy stress-eating.
The third one is usually occupied by a truck driver who always orders something that will give him a huge round belly.
The fourth one and onwards is usually occupied by college kids. This is where my life sucks. I often have to wait for my classmates from the local college downtown. And they are all too bitchy when they see me waiting on people while whispering some vile comments my way as if I can't hear them.