Chapter 83

ATLEAST IT'S LONG! Like holy shit 5 pages (Most I've ever written). Hope it was worth the wait. xo

"Josie." I hear my dad's voice cut me off.

His tone scared me. It was laced with sadness and disappointment.

"What's wrong dad?" I ask slowly.

"Josie I'm so sorry.." he lets his head fall into his hands, refusing to meet my eyes.

"Daddy, what are you talking about?"

"Josie believe me.."

"Just.. spit it out!" I'm growing impatient and he's scaring me.

"I can't go to your wedding." he speaks.

"What?" All three of us gasp at the same time.

Surely I heard wrong.

"Your wedding.. Josie I can't go. I'm so sorry." he sighs.

"W-Why not?" I whisper sadly.

"I have work. That's the day we.."

"Work?" I cut him off.

Are you serious?

"You have..work?" Louis asks with raised eyebrows.

"You're kidding, right?" I ask.

This better be a joke.

"I'm afraid not."

I feel anger flare throughout me. "Are you fucking.."

"Baby." Louis gently shushes me. He pulls me to sit down next to him, rubbing my arm to calm me.

I take a deep breath, "Why don't you just take off of work?" I question calmly.

"I can't.. that's a really important day for the business." he tells me "The boss said.."

"Dave," Louis starts, "With all due respect, don't you think your only daughter's wedding is more important than work?" he asks trying to contain his emotions.

My mom crosses her arms and looks at him expectantly, waiting for his answer.

"Look, I'm not doing this willingly Josie.."

"Yes you are."

"I don't want to miss your wedding! But my boss told us all specifically that on November 13, no one is to be late, absent, or leave early. It's the day of the opening of the mall. All workers must be there or we could get.."

"No dad, that's where you're wrong! It's the one and only day your daughter gets a ring put on her finger. The day that you're supposed to be walking me down the aisle, like each and every father does, and hand me off to the love of my life, waiting at the alter. Does that mean nothing to you?" I ask.

The anger has now passed as hurt envelops me entirely, my eyes watering for the second time since I arrived here.

"Of course it does I.."

"Then tell me why you are choosing your job over me!" I yell as a tear falls. Louis attempts to wipe it but more follow soon after.

"Don't see it that way." he pleads.

"You've given me no choice! How else am I supposed to see it? Your job clearly is more important than your own daughter."

I begin to cry into my hands and feel arms wrap tightly around me. I almost cringe away but stop when I realize it's my fiancé, not my heartless father.