Chapter 3

"Katherina we are leaving in 10 minutes. Get your butt down here!" my mom yelled.

Ryan was leaving today. Rushing down the stairs I hear Sarah say "She took forever to get ready and all she's wearing are jeans and a t-shirt."

"Well forgive me for doing my assignments." I rolled my eyes.

The journey to the airport was long and agonizing. My mother was giving her customary lecture about bring safe and writing as much as he could and video calling.

"This is it you guys" my brother looked at us.

My mother broke into hysterics again. Not far from us was Talen's family and they were in the same situation.

When it came for him to hug me he said "I know we weren't that close. But don't give up. Don't let mom and dad weigh you down."

I cried of course. Eventhough he was a douche most of the time, I was worried about him. Talen came over and hugged everyone. When it came to me he said "I didn't mean what I said Kat. I'm sorry. Take care."

"No problem. You two watch out for each other." I smiled weakly.

They were off. We stayed until we couldn't see them anymore.

The first few weeks were difficult. The silence around the house was weird. Everything changed when the first email came from both of them.

"Oh my poor baby." my mom said sobbing.

Hey, guys its been a hell of a journey here. Took a while longer used to having only the necessities. The other guys are great too. We have begun training. Its been a killer but I'm guessing this is going to be easier compared to when we are out in the field. Missing everyone like crazy. So does Talen. I'll let you know when is good for a video call. Love you guys.

I happy he was doing fine. Let's face it, my brother needed some serious discipline. My mind drifted to Talen. I'm sure he would have emailed Sarah.

"Mom, where's Sarah?"

"Out with Daniel, I think." wow, that was fast.

She came home later that night.

"Ryan sent us an email today." I said while flipping through the tv channels.

"Is he Alright?" she said while texting on her phone.

"Yea he's good."

"Great. That's great." she said again obviously not giving a damn.

"Don't you think Talen would have written to you also? " I said nonchalantly.

"Meh maybe. I don't really care."

"That's kinda harsh don't you think. Aren't you guys together."

" Oh god, Kat. Just mind your own business, will you? I can't really wait around for him can I? We are together. Doesn't mean I can't date other guys first. Besides, I won't get caught. YOU won't tell." she huffed and walked away.

Couple months passed by, and my time to apply for university had finally arrived.

My parents were in their bedroom and I decided to talk to them both at one go to avoid the whole "Ask your dad ask your mom" situation.

"Hey guys. I need to talk to you about university applications." I sat at the edge of their bed.

My father glanced up from the book he was reading.

"Don't worry honey. I know someone at Brown who can get you in." that felt like a smack on my face because obviously, he didn't know I could get in all by myself.

"I don't want to go to Brown. I want to go to Le Cordon Bleu. Pursue culinary. Baking to be exact." That caused my mother to stop brushing her long blonde hair and look at me.

"Kat please. We have been through enough drama. We don't need it from you also." she sighed.

"How is this being dramatic mom. I'm telling you what I want to do with my life. I have some sort direction unlike the other two." I said raising my voice.

At the same time I wanted to cry cause I knew they wouldn't even bother listening to my reasons.

"It's my money. You don't want to do what I tell you to, find some other way to pay yourself through." my father said sternly.

"It's fine for Sarah to use your money for modeling which we ALL knew wouldn't work out in the end."

"That's rude Katherine. This discussion is over. Feel free to do what you want. But if culinary school is what you want, you won't be getting help from us."

"How are the both of you even my parents." I said looking at them not caring that my face looked like a waterfall from my tears.

Not wanting to be around my parents the next day, I packed some clothes and headed to my grandma's place. She wasn't in the kitchen but in the hall knitting while watching some reality show.

Her house was so comfortable. It was idyllic and cozy. Like a country house, unlike my house which was ultra modern.

"Why the frown?" she looked at me.

I didn't want to say anything so I just shrugged. "Could I bake Something?"

"Do you really need to ask for my permission darling. Everything here is yours." her loving voice nearly brought me to tears again.

Opening her fridge, I grabbed the usual. Flour, butter, eggs. I decided to make red velvet cupcakes so I took some cream cheese and red food coloring and cocoa powder. That was the secret ingredient. Cocoa powder gave it some bite and took away the slightly bitter taste of the food coloring.

My arms were deep in flour, and I was pretty sure my face had smudges of it. Baking always comforted me. The mixture was already in the oven and I started on the frosting. I decided to make a pure cream cheese frosting instead of adding icing sugar.

When the cupcakes came out of the oven, I had to stare at them in hopes of it cooling down faster.

"Part of baking is patience. You usually have a lot of that. Looks like that flew out the window today." my grandmother looked at me with her warm brown eyes.

"Don't want to talk about it. Not going to talk about it actually." I said not looking at her.

"Place them in the fridge if you're so impatient. But we both know it will taste horrible. " she mocked.

"Ok fine. I told them about what I wanted to do. They didn't take me seriously at all." I yelled unintentionally.

"It's understandable that you're angry but did I not tell you I would Help?" she came to me and hugged me.

"How nana. How can I put you through this? It's asking way too much of you." I cried.

"It's your fault for assuming I couldn't afford to pay." she smiled smugly.

I was pretty sure my face looked gobsmacked "I promise that I'll pay you back every single dime." I hugged her tighter.

" There's no need for that. Just become the best. Prove to them how amazing you are like how you've shown me." she said.

"I will." I felt so much better. The future never looked brighter.