5. Apologies

New cover alert! The other one was nice but it was only temporary till I made one I liked.
-------------------------------

Max Thompson

"I'm in the giving mood. I've rewarded many other departments today. So I'm giving you all 72 hours more sick time." Just like the other departments they started celebratimg and I left. I looked at my watch and saw it was 12:57. I'm late but thats okay.

"I'll take this." Carmen said taking the binders from me right when I walked out the door. "And you take this." She handed me my backpack and car keys. "I packed up everything and clocked you out. I know you went over your time so you'd be late." She knows me too well. She walked away before I could even say thank you.

I walked down the hall to the wall of elevators and pressed the down button on the nearest one. Waiting for these things to open is one of the most annoying things ever. Taking the stairs would be nice but it's not so great since I'm on the 23rd floor. I should've thought about that before picking where I wanted my office.

Looking down at my watch I saw the minute hand turn the clock to one. I should probably go home and change out this suit but then I'll be an hour late and I don't want to hear my dad's mouth today. I just want to be with Tahny and go to sleep but she doesn't get off till five. Maybe I should make plans for dinner tonight and take her out. I don't like arguing with her and I want to show her I'm sorry.

This morning only made things worse since my worrisome fiancée was blowing up my phone up all night. I can't turn my phone off or put it on mute since I use it as a alarm clock when I'm at Tahny's. She's a light sleeper so she didn't get more than three hours of sleep last night on top of me keeping her up to watch movies with me. Even though she was mad at me she stayed up and that's one thing that I love about her: Now matter what the argument or how bad it is, she'll still be up under me.

Even though she does that it's not something I pride myself on and I should make it up to her.

I took a breath and ran my fingers through my hair. I guess I'll set up a date for us. Hopefully she won't be quite as mad as this morning and come out with me.

The doors opened finally and I stepped on with 10 other people. I pushed the garage button and watched the door close. I leaned against the wall and rubbed my tired eyes. I thought cutting those meetings short would make time go by faster but it didn't. In that last meeting it seemed like everyone had a question for me. I wasn't going to deny them for an answer but at the same time I wanted to dip the fuck out instead of standing there for forty five minutes... But, I do it because I care about my employees. Plus I wanted to drag out that meeting as long as possible that way I'd have a valid excuse for showing up late.

After watching everyone get off on their desired floor it was my turn. I walked the long distance to my car where my parking spot is. I'm not like my dad or my brothers I don't need a fancy parking reservation for work. Someone who might need a closer spot to the door might need it more than I. Besides, I like the walk it's good exercise. Being healthy and working out is important to me. Maybe it's because my father raised me and two of my older brothers. He wasn't ever really home so he never cooked or watched what we ate. And because of that I went into my sophomore year in high school weighing three hundred and ninety pounds, and that didn't sit right with me. So I started eating right and going on walks around our neighborhood. And eventually I lost one hundred and eighty-seven pounds and walking and working out became a habit of mine.

After making it to my car I took my jacket off and contemplated going to this "family luncheon" or not. I sat in my parking space and thought for a second before backing out and leaving the parking garage.