14. Conflicted

Tahny

"I take it you're not from here." Michael said sitting across from me on the concrete park picnic table.

"I'm not. How'd you guess?"

"You not like these New York chicks. I can just tell by the way you carry yourself, the way you talk, and the fact you never had Larry's ice cream before." I could stare at him all day I promise. "Well I'm glad you told me about it because you were right. It is the best." He smiled. "I told you."

I scooped a little bit on my spoon and gave some to Javi. He clapped his hands and let it this cute little scream. "You like it?" He tried to reach for my bowl but I moved it out his reach. "No, you'll just put your hands in it and make a mess."

"My daughter used to do that all the time."

"How'd you get her to stop?"

"I started carrying playdoh in her diaper bag since she like to mess with everything. It's says three and up can play with it but it was the only thing that keeps her distracted. It's not toxic and she can rip it up and throw all she wants and it won't break."

"I'm about to steal that idea." I seriously am. Javi gets into everything, like when I'm changing his diaper he always tries to grab the dirty one and open it. And if I throw it away and leave him alone he'll get into all the lotion and powder and what not. You don't understand how frustrating that is.

Javi stood up on the table and I put my hand on his back for support. And that's another thing, He likes being high up, which I'm reallu concerned about. I know when he starts walking really well then he'll start climbing up everything and I don't want him to think he's spiderman and bust head his or something. I'll be devastated.

"Hi." Michael said smiling. Javi moved closer to me getting nervous. "I'm sorry he's really shy. I try to bring him to park so he can play with other kids but he wants to hide behind me the whole time."

"It's 5 fine. I wish my daughter was like that. She just will let any ol' body pick her up. I'm going to lock her in a tower in the middle of nowhere when she gets older and throw away the damn key" I laughed. "Don't do her like that. If she's friendly now that means she'll be social and ready for the world when she's older." He turned a little to throw his trash away by the wastebasket behind him. "Yeah you're right. She's just growing up to fast."

"I know how you feel. I can't believe my baby is gonna be one in a few weeks. I'm trying to be a wreck about it, it just seems like yesterday I was one my way to the hospital to have him."

Michael was quite after that like he was in deep thought. I want to ask him what's wrong but if it's too personal I don't want him to feel like I'm prying into his business. I looked at my watch to see it was nearing one o'clock, where did the time go? I'm supposed to be taking Javi for a check up and a few shots since he's about to be twelve months. I need to get there by 1:45 for his appointment at two.

"Hey." I put my hand on top of his and he snapped out of it. "I have to take Javier to a doctor's appointment. Thank you for buying me ice cream I really appreciate that." He put his other hand on top of mine.

His hands are so soft and they're really nice. Let me stop geeking over him before he notices.

"You're welcome beautiful. Maybe you and I can do this again? Maybe we can meet here again and I can bring my daughter. Like a play date?"

I gave him a knowing look. "You just want to see me a again huh?" He bit his lip. He needs so being so cute. "I just might be. Why don't you give me your number?" I took my phone out my pocket and unlocked it so he can put his number in. While he was distracted doing that I took that time to look at him some more.

Is it possible for someone to get more fine as you look at em? NaTahny what are you doing? You have Max to worry about! But Micheal he's just so-

"I texted myself so I have your number." I jumped out of my thoughts and took my phone back and dropped it in my bag. "Well I'll be texting you soon Mr. Michael." I stood up and put my purse on my shoulder. "Can I at least walk you to your car?" I gave him a little smirk. "Yeah. Why not?"

Third person

Amelia sat on the balcony of her hotel suite thinking about Max. Every time one of her sons got married it took a piece of her knowing they aren't marrying the woman of their dreams. Only a couple of them actually are in love with their wives and the others just tolerate their significant other for the sake of their father, and that is Max's Situation. He's in love with a woman who holds no equal value to Olivia, well in Emiliano eyes.

He's all about money.

He's keeping their family riches alive by having a few successful  businesses as a base and then tops it off by marrying their children into families with more money than them. Basically it's taking the easy way in. That's how things have been for years in the Thompson family. Luckily so far between Emiliano and Amelia they have all boys. She can't imagine if she had daughters, and couldn't think of how much more difficult it would be to put them through an aranged marriage. She knows what it's like marrying a man she didn't love and didn't want any of her daughters to feel that way.

So each time she got pregnant she'd pray every night for months up until  they could find out the gender, she prayed and prayed that it wasn't a girl and every time God answered her prayers. But with every boy she had she felt this growing empty feeling inside since she'll never know what it's like to have a daughter. That's one reason why she loves Tahny so much.

Amelia sat her champagne glass down on the small table beside her. "I see how happy Max is with NaTahny but he'll just have to live with the fact he can't be with her... And I'll have to live with the fact that she'll never be my daughter."

-------------------------------------