44. The straw that broke Michael's back

Question for this chapter: do you still root for Max? If not, why do you like Michael better?

P.S.- this chapter is over 6,000 words so it's a little long. I didn't wanna split it in two cause I haven't updated in a few days so I hope you guys enjoy it.

Please excuse any mistakes.

-Abby 💘

---

Third person
(Later that day and one long flight later)

Before the couple had left for their flight bank home, Tahny called her parents to let them know she was leaving D.C. to go get Javi from L.A. But coincidently her parents were going to there for a family friends wedding. Without any further question about it they ended up joining them on their flight, just in time for Javi's birthday the next day.

After getting the kids from Hayden's house, Michael took the gang to his apartment.

Once they had landed Tahny was ready to get back home to sleep in her bed, but her excitement quickly faded as she remembered she had no bed to go to. In order to get to the gated community where Hayden lived the route passed the main street that lead to Tahny's house. It was blocked off by police tape and trucks from L.A. fire department. No one could get through which led no hope for her to see the damages, maybe there was nothing to see at all.

Michael parked his car in front of his apartment complex and looked over at Tahny. "You okay? You been quite the whole way here." She gave him a quick smile. "Yeah I'm okay." Michael knew she was lying but left it alone for the time being. No need to push any further if she didn't wanna talk about it.

All she could think about was the little momentos she had kept from when Javi was born, all his milestone pictures, all their clothes, all their important papers, and all their valuables were reduced to a pile of nothing. She kept telling herself "at least Javi is okay." Hayden could've went to Tahny's house to help her finish packing like she planned. Tahny frowned as she thought about how could she live with herself if her sister, son, and Jasmine all were at het home when the fire started.

"Babe." Tahny snapped out her thoughts to see Michael standing on the passenger side with the door open. "You sure you're okay?" He said as he leaned in. "I'm fine." She got out so she could kiss his lip. "I really am, don't worry." He gave her a warm hug as he left a gentle kiss on her forehead. "Okay let's get the Rugrats out the car. Javi back there trynna bust out his car seat. I can bring our bags up later."

Tahny nodded before going around the other side to where Javi is. "You trynna escape?" She asked as she opened the car door. He whined as he tried to push the faded red button on the chest strap. "I know baby, I know you hate the carseat, I know." She unlocked the buckles and took him out kissing his chubby cheeks.

After both of the kids and the most of important stuff was out the trunk they headed up to the fourth floor apartments.

"How do you carry Jas and your groceries up at the same time? Cause I'm out of breath already." Tahny stopped on the second flight and let the night air hit her. She pulled the strap to Javi's diaper bag higher on her shoulder and took a deep breath.

"I just do it. I usually have her strapped on my chest and then I'll grab all the bags at once and just take the stairs like G. Plus I work out three times a week. But I haven't been working out since I be up under you all the time." He said as he kept going up effortlessly. She smacked him on the ass at his remark and continued behind him.