Chapter Twenty-Six

April rolled around and there is a little over a month until the wedding. Jimi and I are meeting with the pastor at the church later this morning. It is 8:00 and I was laying on my stomach with my arms around my pillow. Jimi was nuzzled into me with half of his chest resting on my back and his arm around me. My alarm went off and it scared me half to death. The alarm didn't seem to faze Jimi, it was more of my reaction when it went off. I sat up really fast and turned it off which made Jimi jump.

"What happened? What's wrong?" he asked still half asleep.

"Nothing, the alarm went off" I said.

"Oh" he replied and yawned.

"Come on, we have to get up and shower" I said and nudged his arm as he was trying to lay back down.

"Come on, just five more minutes" he said in a whinny voice.

"Nope, this is already pushing it. Let's go" I said and nudged him again as I climbed out of bed. He unwillingly got up and took a shower. I went over to my closet and picked out something to wear while I waited for him to get out.

About ten minutes later, Jimi emerged from the bathroom with a towel around his waist.

"The bathroom is all yours, babe" he said as he walked over to his dresser.

I walked in and turned the water on. I undressed and climbed in. When I was done I wrapped the towel around myself and brushed my teeth and dried my hair. I put on my clothes and did my makeup and curled my hair a little. When I was done I walked out of the bathroom and headed downstairs by Jimi, who was making breakfast. I poured myself some coffee and walked over to Jimi. I put my hand on his back.

"Breakfast is almost ready" he said and gave me a kiss.

"It smells good" I said and smiled at him.

He finished up breakfast and we ate at the counter. We have to be at the church at 10:00 and it was a little before 9:30. It takes about a half an hour to get there so we decided to get going. We hopped in the truck and Jimi drove us to the church. It is a small church that Jimi and I became members of about six months ago. We go when we're not on the road as much as we can.

It is a small red brick church. The stain glass windows each have their own story behind them. Each picture tells a story in The Bible and they are absolutely beautiful. The walls are painted white and the alter has a set of candles on each side. The pastor said we could decorate the church however we wanted to.

We arrived at the church and walked in. We waited for the pastor to come out. We waited about five minutes and we saw the pastor. He showed us around the church and explained how things were going to go for the ceremony. He said it would be about a twenty minute ceremony. Jimi and I decided to write our own vows. We are having a very small wedding with less than a hundred people so space in the church shouldn't be an issue. We went into his office because we had to do a pre-marriage counselling session thing.

The session lasted about forty-five minutes and it went really well. We said goodbye to the pastor and headed back out to the truck. It was about 12:30 when we left.

"I'm starving. Do you want to go somewhere for lunch?" Jimi asked as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"Yes, I'm starving too." I replied.

"What are you in the mood for?" he asked.

"Burgers" I said.

"I know just the place" he said with a smile.

He drove to a burger place downtown. We got seated right away and ordered our drinks. Jimi ordered a Coke and I ordered a strawberry lemonade. The waitress came back and we ordered our food. I ordered a bacon cheddar burger and Jimi ordered a deluxe burger with everything on it.

"I'm going to run to the bathroom quick" I told Jimi. I set my purse and phone on the table and stood up.

"Ok" he said.

I walked the bathroom. There was a girl who was walking out just as I was walking in and we ran into each other. She was about my height and had shoulder length brown hair with blonde highlights.

"Sorry" I said and moved out of the way.

"You're fine" she said and walked through.

When I was done, I washed my hands and walked out of the bathroom. I walked back towards our table and I saw the same girl I just ran into standing there with a taller guy with dark brown hair. They must know Jimi.

"I haven't seen you in a while. We should go get drinks sometime and catch up" the guy said.

"Sure" Jimi said hesitantly.

"So are you here with someone special?" the man asked and nudged Jimi's shoulder playfully.

"Uhhh yeah... My fiancé actually" Jimi said slowly.

"Oh I see. She's a very lucky lady" the other guy replied.

I walked closer to the table and then I realized I recognized the guy's voice. I know exactly who it is. I stopped in my tracks. I really just want to turn around and run away. Jimi looked over at me. Then the guy and girl turned around. The guy had a look of shock on his face. My heart was beating out of my chest. We made eye contact.

"Karen?"

"Mark"