Chapter Forty-Nine: 2014

It is just after New Year's. Jimi, Elijah and I went down to Georgia and Alabama right after Christmas to spend time with our families. We had a New Year's Eve show in Alabama and that was pretty fun. We flew home on the 2nd, which was yesterday. It has been a pretty hectic few weeks so it is nice to be home. Jimi and I still have some unpacking to do, but it's just some small stuff like extra towels, blankets and dishes.

Its mid morning and I just finished cleaning up breakfast while Elijah and Jimi were upstairs playing around with his new guitar. I decided to finish up the unpacking. I grabbed the bin of towels and took them upstairs. I folded them up and put them in the hall closet next to the bathroom closest to Elijah's room. Once I finished putting the towels away, I walked over to Elijah's room. I stood in the doorway and watched Jimi and Elijah for a few minutes before they saw me. Seeing Jimi with Elijah just warms my heart. He is such an amazing dad. Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky.

"Mama, Daddy's teaching me how to play" Elijah excitedly when he saw me standing in the doorway.

"That's great" I said with a smile.

"Oh, hey babe" Jimi said and looked over at me.

"Hey, how's it going?" I asked and sat down on the rocking chair.

"It's going great, we've learned one chord so far" Jimi said with a smile.

"Listen Mama" Elijah said and played a chord.

"Good job sweetie" I said with a smile.

"I can play just like Daddy" Elijah said excitedly.

"Yeah you can" I said and smiled at Jimi. Then Jimi and Elijah went back to playing the guitar. Elijah was pretty content with only learning one chord for today, so he played that one chord over and over. We stayed in Elijah's room for about a half an hour and listened to Elijah sing songs to that one chord. It was pretty entertaining not going to lie.

"Hey babe, do you want to help me unpack the rest of those dishes. I can't reach the top shelf of the cabinets above the microwave" I said.

"Sure. We'll practice later ok?" Jimi said to Elijah.

"Ok, I'm going to play with my trains anyways" Elijah said and put his guitar away. Then Jimi and I went downstairs to the kitchen. We had two bins of dishes to put away. I handed Jimi the dishes and he put them away. We finished up then went into the living room and sat down on the couch.

"Should I start a fire?" Jimi asked.

"Sure" I said. Jimi went outside and brought in some wood and set it in the bin next to the fireplace. He put a few pieces in the fireplace and started it. Then he grabbed a blanket and sat down next to me. He draped the blanket around us and I cuddled up next to him. We sat there and enjoyed the silence while Elijah was entertaining himself with his trains.

About two hours later, Elijah came downstairs.

"Mama, I'm hungry. Can I have chicken nuggets for lunch?" he said and climbed up on the couch next to me.

"How come you never ask Daddy to make you lunch?" I said and giggled.

"Cause Daddy doesn't make my chicken nuggets right" Elijah said and I laughed and looked at Jimi.

"What is the right way to make chicken nuggets?" Jimi asked slightly offended.

"Mama's are crunchy and Daddy's are soft" Elijah said and I laughed even harder and Jimi rolled his eyes and laughed.

"Alright let's go make your chicken nuggets" I said. Elijah and I stood up and walked to the kitchen. I got out a cookie sheet and preheated the oven. I grabbed the bag of chicken nuggets out of the freezer and set them on the counter. Elijah pulled up his step stool and set it up by the cookie sheet.