Chapter Thirty-Five

It is 2007. Jimi and I have been married for a little over a year. Kimberly and Stephen are married as well as Phillip and Rebecca. We all seem really happy and in a good place. It is a Monday afternoon. We have the next three days off before we go back out on the road on Thursday. We arrived home early this morning from our set of shows this weekend. Jimi and I have been hanging around the house all day relaxing. We were sitting on the couch together when I heard the doorbell ring repeatedly. I looked at Jimi.

"We aren't expecting anybody to come over today are we?" I asked Jimi.

"Not that I know of" Jimi said. I stood up and walked towards the door. I saw in the window that Kimberly was standing there, continuously ringing the doorbell. I opened the door and she came running in.

"Kim, are you ok?" I asked confused.

"I don't know" she replied.

"What do you mean you don't know?" I asked again. She stood there looking at me with tears forming in her eyes.

"I think I'm pregnant" she whispered.

"What?!" I said loudly.

"Shut up!" She yelled at me in a whisper and hit my arm.

"Babe, is everything ok? Who's at the door?" Jimi asked as he walked over towards us. He peeked his head around the corner.

"Oh, hey Kim" he said and waved.

"Hi Jimi" she said quietly.

"Let's go talk upstairs" I said and directed her to the stairs. We walked up to mine and Jimi's room and I shut the door.

"What makes you think you're pregnant?" I asked her.

"Well, I've been feeling kind of nauseous lately and I've had some really weird cravings" she started and I nodded.

"Then this morning when we got home, I realized I'm late. Like really late" she said.

"How late is really late?" I asked.

"Two weeks" she whispered.

"Oh...Wow...That's really late" I said quietly.

"Yeah" she replied. We sat there in silence for a few minutes.

"Was it planned?" I asked and broke the silence.

"No" she said quietly.

"Well, we don't even know for sure if you are or not. You should take a pregnancy test before we really start freaking out here" I said and she nodded.

"Lets go to the store and get one" I said.

"Ok" she said and we walked downstairs.

"We're going to the store." I told Jimi when we reached the bottom of the stairs. I walked over to him.

"We'll be back later" I added and kissed him.

"Ok, see you in a bit" he said. I grabbed my jacket and wallet and we left. I drove us to the nearest store which happened to be Target.

I parked the car and we walked inside. We found the aisle with the pregnancy tests.

"Let's grab like four, just to be safe" I suggested and Kimberly nodded.

"Can we buy something else too so it doesn't look like we're here for just this" she asked.

"Sure. Jimi and I are low on a few groceries anyways" I said and giggled. We made our way around the store and grabbed a few things.

"So, have you and Stephen talked about kids?" I asked.

"Sort of. We both agreed about having kids, but not for a while. I mean we just got married a few months ago" She said.

"If you are pregnant, I'm sure he will be thrilled" I said.

"I hope so" she said quietly. We grabbed everything we needed and proceeded to the check outs. Once everything was bagged, we headed back to my house. I pulled in the driveway and we walked in the door.

"We're back" I said as we walked in the door.

"I got some groceries, can you put these away?" I asked Jimi as I walked passed him into the kitchen.

"Sure babe" he said and stood up. Then Kimberly and I went back upstairs. We walked into our bedroom.

"You can use mine and Jimi's bathroom" I said and handed her the bag with the pregnancy tests. She walked in the bathroom and closed the door. I sat down on the bed and waited for her to come out. A few minutes later she walked back out.

"I have to wait five minutes" she said and sat down next to me.

"I'm really scared Karen" she said in a tearful voice.

"Everything is going to be fine, I promise" I said and hugged her. We sat there in silence again.

"What about you and Jimi?" She asked and broke the silence.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Have you and Jimi talked about having kids?" she asked.

"We talked about it a little bit before we got married and then a little bit a few months ago. We decided to wait to have kids since our career is really starting to take off and it would be hard for us right now since both of us are in the band" I said and she nodded.

"What if Stephen and I aren't ready?" she asked me. I wasn't really sure how to answer that.

"Well, whatever happens, you two can handle it" I said.

"I hope so" she said. Then the timer went off.

"It's time" I said. Kimberly took in a deep breath and stood up. She slowly walked towards the bathroom. I saw her look down. She stared at the counter for a few minutes then she walked back out. I stood up.

"I'm pregnant" she said quietly. We stood there looking at each other in silence.

"How do you feel?" I asked after a while.

"I don't know...I think I feel happy" she said with a smile growing on her face.

"Really?" I asked with a smile.

"Yeah. Karen...I'm having a baby" she said with a smile.

"You're having a baby" I said and gave her a hug.

"When are you going to tell Stephen?" I asked after we let go of each other.

"I really want to tell him right now" she said and giggled.

"What's stopping you? Go tell him" I said and laughed.

"Ok" She said.

"Thank you Karen" she said and hugged me again. Then we walked back downstairs and I walked her to the door.

"Let me know how it goes" I said as she was walking out to her car.

"I will" she said and got in her car. I closed the door and sat back down by Jimi on the couch.

"What did she need? She looked pretty upset when she got here." Jimi asked.

"Nothing. She just needed some girl time" I said and leaned into Jimi.

"I will never understand how the two of you operate" he said and kissed the top of my head and I laughed.