22|| Auditions

I spent most of Sunday recuperating from my hangover so by Monday I felt mostly fine, besides the dull throb at the back of my head.

However, I was still feeling dead when I walked into the auditorium for our play auditions.

I had no idea what role I was auditioning for. I hadn't memorized lines or anything, and unfortunately Mrs. Faye was requiring everyone  to audition for a role, meaning I couldn't work backstage.

"Maybe I can be a tree?" I asked her hopefully.

"There are no tree roles Aubrey," she laughed.

"But trees are very important!" I protested. "Without trees we wouldn't have oxygen or money or anything and then we'd be all dead!"

She patted my head. "Sorry but no. If you don't want a big role there are plenty of small ones you can audition for." Then she walked off.

I frowned at her retreating figure.

"Welcome to the auditions for Romeo and Juliet!" Mrs. Faye said loudly. We were all scattered in different seats across the auditorium.

"We will be auditioning in alphabetical order. Please know your lines or at least have your script ready."

I felt a tiny bit of relief in knowing I still had some time before my auditions. I quickly scanned the script. Lady Capulet didn't have that many lines. Neither did Lady Montague.

The theater doors slammed open and everyone turned to look. Carter strolled casually inside looking bored.

"So nice of you to make it Mr. King," Mrs. Faye gave him a disapproving look. "Please have a seat. Auditions will be starting momentarily."

He made his way over to me. I was too busy stressing over this to acknowledge the tiny flutter of my stomach.

"Yo," he sat next to me. "How are you feeling?"

"Meh," I shrugged. "I've been better."

I mean I completely and totally embarrassed myself in front of him but YOLO right?

"I studied my lines all night. I'm gonna blow everyone else out of the water," he pulled out his script.

"Can't wait to see that," I mumbled.

"First up," Mrs. Faye announced. "We have Kimberly Chambers auditioning for the role of Juliet."

Kim, as everyone liked to call her, walked up the steps to the stage confidently. She didn't have her script and stood in front of us, her posture straight and her hands clasped behind her back.

"I will be reciting some of Juliet's lines from scene two, the apple orchard," she cleared her throat.

"O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet."

Her face was twisted with anguished and she stretched her hand out as if she was reaching for someone.

"Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself."

The auditorium was silent.

"That was wonderful!" Mrs. Faye stood up. "Truly wonderful. Thank you."