26 || Secret Santa

For some reason school is always more fun around the holidays.

I wish I could tell you why.

Maybe it's the holiday spirit and all that jazz.

"One week until Christmas!" Chanel cheers.

"I haven't even started shopping for presents," Nikole admits.

"I already have everyone's presents," Ivy says. "Now I just have to wait for the day to give them out."

"What are you getting Carter?" Chanel nudges me as we walk down the halls.

"Who said I was getting him anything?"

"Why not?" Nikole asks. "You like him don't you?"

I roll my eyes. "So? It's not like he's getting me anything either. And I don't want to make things awkward by getting him a gift? What if he thinks I like him?"

"What would be so bad about that?" Ivy says.

"Um try everything!" 

"One day Aubrey you'll realize what a terrible mistake you're making," Ivy chastens me.

I ignore her. There's no way I'm getting Carter anything. Especially now that he knows my terrible secret.

"Hey blondie," he greets me as we sit down at our table in the cafeteria.

"Shut up," I glare daggers at him.

"Sure blondie," he winks. I suck in a breath.

"Aubrey was the cutest blonde," Chanel gushes. "Sometimes I wish she'd go back to her real hair color."

"Never gonna happen."

Nikole opens a cup of yogurt. "But why?"

"Because. And I'm never dying it back so drop it. The only time you'll see me blonde is on Halloween."

"Shame," Carter shakes his head.

That very same day in English class Ms. Faye announces her annual secret Santa. 

Ugh.

It's hard enough shopping for my friends, now I have to shop for some random too?

She passes around the stocking and when I get it I reach in and pick out a slip of paper.

Carter King

It's sad that I'm not even surprised at this point.

Now I have to get him a gift. Of course I tell the girls.

"It's fate," Nikole says at Pinkberry. "The universe is playing Cupid."

"Well I wish the universe would stop. I have no idea what to get him," I groan and lay my head on the table.

"What do you know about him?" Ivy asks.

"That he's an annoying, arrogant, asshole and for some Godforsaken reason I like him."

She gives me a look. "That's not what I meant."