42 || The reason why Carter King was expelled

It was a boring Monday, the hype after my birthday party dying down. The girls and I were sitting around our table in the quad outside. Chanel had her head down and was staring off into space. Ivy was doodling in her notebook and I was looking at memes. Basically, we were all kinda over the whole school thing. The senior-ritus was starting to hit us.

"I'm so bored," Chanel whines. "And school hasn't even started yet."

She was right. Even the memes were getting repetitive and dull.

Just then Nikole ran over to us, out of breath. Her hair looked a wild mess and her clothes askew.

Ivy raised a brow. "What happened to you?"

"Guys," she panted. "I am no longer a virgin."

Chanel shot up. "What!"

"I'm surprised Nikole. I thought your first time was supposed to be romantic, not a quickie," Ivy gestured at her. "You look a mess."

"It was romantic and it wasn't a quickie. I lost it last night at Ryan's house and ended up falling asleep there. By the way Aubrey I told my parents I was at your house so you're my alibi."

I nodded. "Okay. So how was it?"

Her face takes on a dreamy look. "It was magical."

Ivy gags. "Excuse me while I go throw up."

"Oh shut up. Anyway it was amazing. The best I've ever had."

"But you've never had anyone else," Chanel points up.

"So? It doesn't matter. And I don't want anyone else. Just Ryan and his magic pogo stick."

"I'm right behind you on the hurling Ivy," I spoke.

"So the rest of us are free to lose our virginities now?" Chanel asks.

Nikole smiles. "Yep."

Chanel sighs in relief. "Good because it's getting harder to stop myself and Trevor when things get too heated."

"Ooh Chanel," Nikole winks. "My money says your next."

Chanel blushes. "Maybe..."

While they continue to talk about sex and lost virginities I rest my head in my palm, a small frown on my face. There's something that's been bothering me since the night of my birthday party.

I almost blurted out that I loved Carter. And thank God I didn't. What a disaster that would've been. But now I can't stop thinking about how close I was to saying it.

"Aubrey," Ivy shakes me from my thoughts. "Penny for your thoughts?"

Nikole and Chanel are staring at me expectantly. 

"It's nothing," I shake my head. Ivy gives me a dubious look.

"Nothing I want to talk about anyway," I stand up. "I'm going to start heading to class."