25 || Thanksgiving

25 || Thanksgiving

"It's Thanksgiving!" My mother trilled opening my curtains.

"Why do you always have to wake me up so early," I groaned, covering my head with my pillow. "Wake up Jason or something."

"Today is an important day," she says.

"Nothing is as important as my sleep. Go away."

I turned away and snuggled deep into my comforter. I heard my mom leave and fell asleep.

When I woke up again it was already noon. Stretching, I yawned and got out of bed slipping on my furry pink slippers before padding downstairs.

I was immediately hit with the smell of food being cooked. My mom was in the kitchen cooking what looked to be a feast.

"I know it's Thanksgiving but there's only four people in our family, not ten," I sat at the counter.

"I tried to tell you earlier but you fell back asleep. Today is an important day," my mom opened a pot to stir whatever was inside.

"And why is that?"

"Taste this," she held out her spoon to me. I shook my head.

"I haven't brushed my teeth yet."

"Well what are you waiting for? Go wash up."

I slid off the stool and went back up to my room where I brushed my teeth, removed my eye boogers and crust from drool, and brushed my hair before tying it up in a bun. Now that my face was fresh I went back downstairs to interrogate my mother on why this was such an important day.

"Where's dad and Jason?" I asked. "And Sheila?"

"Oh they went to go buy a few things we needed."

"Like?"

"Candles, the scented ones, and drinks."

"Are we having a party or something?"

"Taste this," she repeated holding out the spoon to me. Frustrated I pushed it away.

"Not until you tell me what's going on."

She waved the spoon and I rolled my eyes taking a sip. Wow. That was really good.

"What is it?" I said.

"Clam chowder. I found a great recipe online."

I raised a brow. "We're having clam chowder for Thanksgiving?"

"Among other things," she opened the window above the sink.

"What's going on?" I crossed my arms.

Finally she turned to me. "Your father has an important buissness client coming over for dinner tonight."

Well that explained the feast she was preparing and why she needed scented candles.

"Go find something nice to wear. They'll be over around six."

"They'll?"

"Oh she has a son and two daughters."

I turned to go back upstairs and she called after me. "Don't forget to set the table! Use our nice dishes and glassware!"

I picked out a pink boat neck sweater dress and matching scarf along with my pink ankle booties. While I was picking out my outfit I heard Jason, dad, and Sheila come in.

Since there was still time left I scrolled through Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat. Jason burst into my room.

"It's called knocking," I sat up.