27 || Mean girls

27 || Mean girls

"So the school has asked us to perform at the winter rally," Britney announced at the beginning of practice. "And I've decided we'll be doing a remix to jingle bell rock inspired by mean girls but with my own adjustments."

I share a glance with Nikole and Chanel.

"So we have a few days to come up with a routine. But before that let's talk about outfits!" She claps. "We'll be wearing red Santa dresses-"

"Objection!" I raise my hand.

She glares at me. "What?"

"I refuse to wear red."

"Excuse me?"

"I will only participate in a pink Santa outfit."

"But the Christmas colors are red and green," Britney says annoyed. "You can't wear pink!"

I shrug. "What's one less dancer?"

"But you can't!" Britney shouts. Megan shoots me a dirty look.

"You always have to cause problems Aubrey. Why can't you just do the right thing for once?"

Nikole laughs. "You're one to talk

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Quiet!" Britney snaps. "Aubrey this is ridiculous. You'll be the only on wearing pink!"

"I'll wear pink with her," Chanel says.

"And me!" Nikole piped up.

I cross my arms and give her a smug look.

"Fine!" She throws her hands up. "You guys can wear stupid pink!"

I internally cheer to myself. Britney starts barking orders about how the dance routine will go.

"For the beginning of the dance we'll be using props. Three of you will be carried in holding stockings filled with candy which will be thrown to to audience while the rest of us follow shimmying our hips. Like this," she demonstrates. "Then the ones being carried will get down and we'll do the mean girls routine."

"So much for original," Nikole says sarcastically.

"I'm not finished," Britney snaps. "After our routine the beat will drop and we'll start our hip hop routine with some stunts added." She plays the music.

I have to admit, Britney really knows how to sell. This will be one hell of a performance.

"Who will be the ones being carried in?" Emery asks.

"The flyers obviously," Britney rolls her eyes.

Of course. Why did I expect it wouldn't be us?

Britney claps. "Okay everyone time to practice!"

I get up and stretch. Nikole and Chanel follow suit.

The mean girls dance is not hard at all. In fact I kinda already knew the dance since Mean Girls is one of my favorite movies. The hip hop routine is a little more complicated especially with the stunts and flips added.

"Ugh stop!" Britney yells. "Your supposed to do this!"

She demonstrates sliding her hands down her right leg before dropping and kicking her left leg out.

I don't think it's hard but some of the girls aren't catching on. For the flips I'm supposed to do a succession of back flips in front of the dancers before landing in a splits. It's a workout, that's for sure.