24 || The show must go on

"Look how many people there are!" I hissed peeking from behind the curtain.

The auditorium was completely packed. People had to stand due to how crowded it was. All for some stupid play.

Ryan pulled me back. "Come on we're doing a last minute run through and prep."

I awkwardly followed him in my tight dress. All the actors were scurrying doing hair, makeup, and running through lines. Production was shouting orders, making sure the sound worked and all the props were ready.

"Mrs. Faye!" I wobbled over to her.

"Yes Ms. Powers?" She said distractedly flipping through her clipboard and mumbling to herself.

"Do I have to wear this wig? It's so itchy!"

"Lady Montague did not have pink hair. In fact I don't even think pink hair dye was invented back then."

"But-"

"I'm very busy right now," she interrupted me. "Just wear the wig ok? You look darling." She patted my head and hurried off.

I blew out a breath and went to go see how everyone else was doing.

"How hard can it be to work a curling iron?" Kimberly was yelling. "You incompetent fools!"

One girl had taken one look at the crowd and been immediately hit with a bad case of stage fright. She was now crying while someone tried to sooth her. The stage manger was yelling at two boys who were sword fighting and accidentally cut a power cord.

Looks like this play was bringing out the worst in everyone.

"Where is Romeo!" Mrs. Faye was shouting frantically. "Has anyone seen Romeo!"

"He just texted me," a girl ran up to Mrs. Faye. "He can't make it tonight."

"What?!" She screeched.

"Something came up," the girl shrugged.

Mrs. Faye dabbed at her forehead with a handkerchief. "Ok that's ok. Fetch me his understudy."

This place was a mess.

Carter came up to me in his costume. I took a minute to discreetly check him out.

"Lady Montague," he bowed.

"Tybalt," I replied. "Do put that sword away."

He sheathed the weapon. "We start in five."

Nerves bubbled in my stomach. I nodded and smoothed out my skirts.

"Places everyone!" Mrs. Faye shouted.

"You ready?" Carter asked.

"Ready to puke."

🎭🎭🎭

"Oh, where is Romeo? Saw you him today? Right glad I am he was not at this fray."

So far everything was going smoothly. Besides a few stumbles on lines we were doing good.

Lord Montague held out his arm and I took it. Together we walked off the stage. Once backstage I sighed in relief.

My third line came at the end of the play so I didn't have much to do except sit and watch. The only parts I was really interested in were the parts Carter was onstage. It was like he was a different person, but then again isn't that what acting is?