Kevin - Lost Someone

It was 9:00 on a Friday night. I had an extra surgery tonight, and I was supposed to have dinner with my wife. I was sitting in our break room, holding a coffee, when my phone rang. I picked it up off of the table, and I smiled seeing my wife's name on the screen.

"Hi A." I smiled, answering the phone.

"Hey! You're finished?" She asked.

"Mmhm." I nodded.

"How did it go?" She asked.

"Not, not well." I sighed, "I lost my patient."

"Oh." She sighed, "I'm sorry. Uh, do you still want to get dinner? It might make you feel better."

"Can we order in?" I asked, I was sweating a bit, I felt kinda gross and didn't want to go out to a nice restaurant.

"Mmhm." She agreed, "I'll come and pick you up." She offered and I smiled.

"Thanks, I'll see you in 15?" I offered, and she hummed her yes, "see you then sweetheart."

A little while later, I was standing outside of the hospital, waiting to see our car pull up. I was absentmindedly scrolling through my phone, when I heard someone yell at me.

"Hey! Alvarez!" I looked up and saw a guy come up to me.

"Yes?" I asked, confused.

"Dr. Alvarez? You're the cardiologist who killed my husband?" He asked, and a pang of guilt shot through me, right before I replied I saw my car pull up and Abigail climbed out of the drivers seat.

"Uh, yeah. I'm so incredibly sorry." I sighed, "really, I'm so sorry. I did everything I could."

"I don't give a crap. That was my husband." He sobbed out. I bit my lip, and saw Abigail standing by the car, watching sadly, I tried to give her a weak smile. "Her?" The guy spun around, and pointed at my wife. "She your girlfriend or something?" He asked.

"We're married." I smiled, showing him my wedding ring.

"How would you feel if a doctor let her die?" He yelled, and I saw her, with a scared look on her face, biting her lip gently.

"Hey, I'm not saying I'm okay with what I did, but, I really, I really did everything I could." I slung my bag over my shoulder, and started to walk towards my car.

"Don't walk away from me!" He shouted, "I'm serious, what if I let your wife die? What if I left her on an operating table and didn't look back?" He asked, and I wrapped my arms around Abigail, and kissed her head.

"I'm so so sorry." I looked back at him, "I really don't know what I can do, I'm so sorry."

"I don't care! Do you realize that was a person? They had a life, and friends, and family, do you not realize what you did?" He asked, coming up to A and I.

"Sweetie, get in the car." I whispered.

"No." She refused, her arm around my torso.

"Okay," I sighed, "Listen," I turned towards the man, "I do. I realize he was a person. It's hard, it's hard being a surgeon. Yes, there have been people I couldn't save, but, I saved two today. I really, I really am sorry." I sighed.

"You didn't save two lives, you just did your job right 2/3 times today!" He shouted and shoved me back into the door of my car.

"Hey!" Abigail shouted, and stepped in front of me. "Don't hit him."

"Stay out of this, it has nothing to do with you." He said, and shoved her as well.

"Abigail get in the car." I said, an edge to my voice, "please sweetheart."