Abi - What If... (part three)

Kevin dropped me off at school on the next Monday. I was terrified, and embarrassed. I knew I was going to see Nick, and I was breaking up with Sam.

"You're gonna be fine, A." Kevin smiled, "now, I need to go to school." He squeezed my hand, and I smiled a bit, then walked into the school.

•••

My first three classes went fine,y heart was thumping madly however, as I walked over to Sam.

"Hi baby." He smiled, pulling his arms around me. "Oh, are you okay? I'm sorry you got kicked out, but baby, you know that was your fault. You did sneak out." Sam laughed.

"Sam we need to talk." I wrung my hands.

"Sure, lets sit down." He pulled me over the bike racks, and situated me in his lap.

"Uh... we need to break up." I whispered.

"What?" He laughed a little bit. "Ugh, that was cute, come here." He pushed his hands up the back of my shirt, and I moved away.

"I really am, I'm sorry, I, I'm sorry." I sighed, standing up. I took one step, then Sam grabbed my foot and I fell.

"Come here." He gripped my wrist, yanking me up, and shoved me over to Nick. "I'm done with her." He decided.

"What do you mean?" Nick asked.

"She broke up with me, you can return to whatever the hell you were doing with her before we dated."

"Uh, okay." Nick laughed a little bit. "You can leave, Abigail." He pushed me off of him, and I grabbed my backpack and ran off inside of the school.

I managed to find a little unoccupied corner of the school, and I sat down, hugging my knees. I couldn't go back to the Walters on Friday. No one noticed me, it was pretty much back to normal.

I pulled a sandwich out of my bag and took a small bite. Mrs. Alvarez made me a lunch today. It felt weird to eat at school though. Wrong somehow.

I peacefully watched people walking past me, trying to find the silver lining in the day. I broke up with Sam, which was good, and Kevin wasn't pressuring me to date him either. It felt nice to have a guy who was willing to give me some space, our little mini-date went well, he was a sweet guy. I was hoping he'd be up for actually dating me.

•••

"So, how'd it go today?" Kevin asked, as I walked into work.

"Fine." I sighed, tossing my backpack down.

"You don't sound fine, Abigail." Kevin noted, and I went over to him, slipping under his arms into a hug. "Hi," he laughed a little, and rubbed my back.

"Hi." I whispered, resting my head on his chest.

"So, uh, did you break up with Sam? It's okay if you didn't, it's just a question."

"Yeah, I dumped him." I nodded, "he didn't take it well."

"Aw, did he hurt you?" Kevin asked, pulling away from the hug, and looking at me, holding my shoulders.