Abi (Past AU) - Running Away

About a month after I tried to run away, I was sitting on the couch, in the living room, being told, once again, that I was going back into foster care.

"Please don't send me back." I pleaded, biting my lip gently. "Please, just, I'll leave, you can tell them I ran away, I... you'll get payed, and I'll get out. Please."

"Why would you want that?" Mr. Walter asked, confused.

"It's easier. It's preferable to live on the street than in another home." I explained.

"Okay, just, when?" Mrs. Walter agreed.

"Now. Today. I'll pack." I smiled, and rushed upstairs. I threw some clothes into my backpack, along with my phone and charger. Everything else I left. "Bye." I smiled a little, and waved, standing at the door.

"I'll grab you an apple." Mrs. Walter sighed, walking into the kitchen.

"It was nice having you here." Mr. Walter said, slipping his arm around my waist. I shifted uncomfortably, and moved out of his arm.

"Okay Abigail," Mrs. Walter handed me a small apple, "uh, goodbye." She flashed me a quick smile, and I slipped out of their house. I was wearing my new winter jacket and scarf, which honestly wasn't helping that much, against the cold December air.

I realized that when the Water family reported me missing, people would start looking for me, like, DHS would be looking for me. I walked down a few blocks, before it started to rain. I quickly found a little covered area by a wall. It was dark enough, so I curled up there, and fell asleep.

•••

About a week and a half later I had noticed posters going up on some windows, with my face. It told people that if they saw me they should call the New York Foster Care system. I started tearing those posters down whenever I could, I didn't want anyone to find me. I didn't want to go back.

There were about 3 days until Christmas. There were decorations all over the city, and Christmas music playing over speakers. Everyone was shopping and with family.

That night, it started snowing. I was too nervous to go into the covered areas anymore, because I knew people were looking for me. Eventually I sucked it up, and sat on my jacket in the snow, curled up, leaned against a wall.

I woke up when someone put a blanket on top of me, the newfound warmth surprising me.

"Merry Christmas." A woman whispered, and I looked up.

"Hmm?" I mumbled, confused.

"Oh god." I saw her hand fly to her face, "Dave, Dave come here, it's a kid." I got a little scared, and a man around her age, came over to her.

"Oh, um, sweetheart, how old are you?" He asked, crouching down by me.

"Fifteen." I answered, honestly.

"Oh. Okay sweetheart, I'm gonna call Child Protective Services, why don't you come inside where it's warm?" The woman started to help me up, and I shook my head quickly. "Honey what is it?"

"Please don't call CPS." I pleaded, scared.

"Why not?"

"I... I'm... I was in the foster care system, and I don't want to go back. It's awful." I admitted, slinking back a little.