Meeting Kevin (part 2)

I nervously sat down to dinner. Kevin was sitting next to me, and I noticed his foot tapping nervously on the floor, and I started playing through scales, in front of me. C, no sharps. D, two sharps, up on F and C. E, four sharps, up on F, G, C, and D. F, one flat, down o-

"Kevin you eat meat right?" I was call out of my trance, by my mother setting plates out.

"Yes ma'am." He nodded.

"Good." She laughed a little, "we're having chicken." She flashed him a smile, then went back into the kitchen. Just as she left my dad appeared, with Sebastian.

"Okay, Kevin, so, uh... I realize we already spoke, so I don't really have many questions." He noted.

"Wait, Dad? You seriously already... you... ugh." I groaned a little, blushing.

"Don't worry, Abigail, he wasn't weird or anything. It was sweet." Kevin put his hand on my shoulder. "Anyways, I actually have some questions, if that's okay." He wrung his hands nervously.

"Sure, shoot." My mom smiled, setting the food on the table, and sitting by her husband.

"Okay, uh, why did you guys move to New York?" He asked, and my eyes widened a bit, "was it work thing? Or family?"

"Uh, Kevi-" I started but was cut off.

"We didn't move here. Well, we moved back from London, but we were only supposed to be there for a year." My dad explained putting chicken on his plate, "you can eat." He added at the end.

"No, uh, I mean," Kevin put some meat on his plate as well, and my stomach churned. "Why did you move from Oregon? You said Oregon right?" He turned to look at me, and my face was completely red.

"Oh!" Lin laughed, "actually, um, we didn't, Abigail's adopted. We adopted her about two years ago." He smiled, "two years next month."

"Oh." He blushed, embarrassed, "sorry, I mean, that explains why she's white, I just thought.." he trailed off.

"No, it's fine, it's fine." My dad laughed, reassuringly. "That's not usually something that comes up on a first date, anyways."

"Okay, uh, anyways, you said you were a composer! What for?" He tried to change the subject, quickly.

"I write musicals." Lin smiled. "Uh, I wrote the music for the Disney movie Moana, I was in Mary Poppins Returns, I wrote the musical Hamilton, an-"

"Oh God." Kevin's jaw dropped a little, and my heart sunk a little. "You were that guy! Oh my gosh, it's so cool to meet you!" He gushed a little, and I frowned a little, looking at my lap.

"Oh, uh, thanks." I can assume my dad smiled, I fiddled with my thumbs on my lap.

"Anyways, how was London?" He asked, and I noticed his arm slip around me, gently rubbing my arm.

"Great, I'm glad to be back though, I love New York." My mom smiled.

"So, was Abigail the only one to develop an accent?" He asked, laughing a little.

"It's gone now!" I protested.

"I know, but... I mean, I thought you were British." He laughed.

"Abigail and Sebastian both got little accents." My dad smiled.

"Well, it was really cute." Kevin laughed again, smiling at me.

•••

After dinner I was going to my room, Kevin following at my heels.

"Door open, sweetheart!" My dad called, as we walked in my room.