Abi - What If... (part 6)

I was seated between Kevin and my dad at dinner, across from the Alvarez's.

"Anyways, we just really wanted to thank you for taking care of Peanut." My dad said, ruffling my hair.

"No, it was no problem, Kev loved having her, and she was absolutely terrified no trouble at all." Mr. Alvarez smiled at me.

"We can pay you back for anything you spent on her, we just, we were scared." My mom assured them. "I ca-" she was cut off by a younger kid tapping my dad on the shoulder.

"Hi, I'm really sorry to interrupt, but um, can, c-"

"Do you want me to sign something?" My dad laughed a little bit, and the little boy nodded. He handed him a slip of paper, and my dad quickly signed his name, using a sharpie he had on hand.

"Thanks!" The kid was grinning ear to ear, as he ran back to his table.

"Sorry about that." Lin sighed, returning to the conversation.

"Um, you, are you..." Mrs. Alvarez trailed off, "you were that guy! You wrote that play! Oh my gosh yes you I remember hearing about this, you adopted a girl, and s... oh wow, this is... wow, that's why you were in London, oh...." my face flushed red as I stared at my lap, playing with a small tear in my worn jeans.

"Yeah, I'm surprised Abigail didn't say anything, Niñita?" He put his hand on my leg, and I looked up.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to say anything, I just, I thought that like, I don't know." I sighed.

"You're not in trouble, hun." My mom laughed, "anyways, I called a friend and he's gonna take your case." She smiled at me. "He's really good, I put a call in, and called in a few favors, your emancipation request should go in tomorrow, which means you'll get sanctuary. Once that happens you just need to talk with my friend about what happened, and the trial should be over within two to three weeks."

"Okay." I forced a nervous smile.

"Sweetie, I know three weeks is a long time, but that's literally how fast this can go. On the up side, my friend takes these cases all the time, and you're gonna win, it'll be okay. You'll move to London with us."

"What?" Kevin had stayed silent up until this point. "You're moving to London?" He looked at me.

"Mmhm, with my family." I nodded.

"Oh, okay." He sighed, and took my hand under the table, trying to be discreet, but a pretty obvious smile spread over my face.

•••

The next day, I was sitting on Kevin's couch, watching a movie I had no interest in. I heard Mrs. Alvarez answer the door, and I perked up upon hearing my name.

"She's in the next room." Mrs. Alvarez said.

"Abigail Miranda?" I looked up to see a guy in his late thirties, holding a large folder.

"Mmhm." I looked up, and Kevin paused the movie.

"Okay, your mom called me yesterday, you're trying to file for emancipation?"

"Oh, yeah." I nodded.

"Okay, um, can I sit down?" He asked, and I nodded, then looked back at Kevin to make sure it was actually okay. "Now, do you want to  have the conversation about your reasons now?" He asked.

"Sure." I mumbled, not wanting to go over them ever. "Can Kev stay?" I asked.

"Mmhm, is he your boyfriend?"