Abi/Kev - Karaoke

I was sitting with a few of Kevin's work friends at a karaoke dinner bar, with a small salad and a glass of ice in front of me. We were at a small black table in the center of the space, it was dark, and the three guys at the table seemed to be having the time of their lives.

"Okay! We're opening up the mic for the night, feel free to come on down and give the DJ your name!" Someone shouted from the front of the restaurant.

"Oh god, Kevin, get up there and sing." One of his friends suggested, laughing a little.

"No." He and I said at the same time.

"He's not a singer." I giggled a little bit.

"Mmhm, I'm definitely not the vocalist in the relationship." He added.

"Oh, oh! That means you're up, cutie." One of the guys said, and I laughed.

"No." I shook my head, laughing.

"Why not, A?" Kevin smiled, nudging me in the side.

"Really?" I whispered.

"Go on, it'll be great, I'll video." He said, and kissed my head. "I mean, if you don't want to, I don't want to make you, but you have a nice voice."

"Okay." I caved, and stood up. "You'll enjoy this, Kevie."

"Oh I know I will." He smiled and leaned back in his chair.

"Hey, um, can I sing?" I asked, standing on my toes to see the DJ.

"Of course, what's your name?" He smiled at me.

"Abigail Alvarez." I replied.

"Alright Abigail, what do you want to sing?" He asked, while typing.

"Um, do you have, um, musical soundtracks?" I asked, an idea popping into my head.

"Yeah, a couple."

"Do you have Bonnie and Clyde?"

"We have the revival."

"Awesome." I smiled, "can you do How 'Bout a Dance?" I asked, and he nodded a bit, and handed me a mic.

I hopped up on the stage, waved a little at my husband, who had his phone out, ready to video.

"Hi, um, this song is for my husband Kevin, um, it was our wedding song, and um, here's to many more wonderful years." I introduced, and then the songs intro started, and I saw my spouse laugh a little from his seat.

(I know it's real obnoxious to put the whole song in the book, and I'm sorry)

"How 'bout a dance? What do you say? I've got some moves that I'd love to show you. Let's find a spot and dance the night away." I started, the music very soft, and easy behind me.

"How 'bout a dance? It's always fun. Come over here. Let me get to know you. Can't beat a band to lift your spirits high. You look so handsome." The song somewhat elevated, and a smile spread over my face as I sang the last phrase, my heart melting into the music.

"That's my girl!" Kevin shouted, and I stifled a laugh, and continued the phrase.

"How 'bout a dance? Let's make a start.
Music like this can really throw you.
You'll lose the blues, and you may lose your heart. Tonight is the night I've been waiting for. Even the moon looks just right. I'm sure the crowd will make room on the floor.
When they see you look like you do." I let myself go into the music a little bit, then connected the two phrases neatly, "So how 'bout a dance? Let's make a start. Music like this can really throw you. You'll lose the blues, and you may lose your heart." I ended the phrase on a louder note, then sank back to finish the song softly, "You'll lose the blues, and you may lose your heart."

"Alright!" The DJ shouted, "I think we can all agree that was impressive, that was Abigail Alvarez!" I giggled a little, rushing back to my table.

"Baby, that was gorgeous." Kevin said, pulling me into a hug.

"Thanks." I sighed.

"Son of a..." one of Kevin's friends trailed off, "how did- what- you- how?" He stumbled.

"I'm just really good at karaoke." I laughed, then someone tapped my shoulder, I spun around seeing a guy a few years younger than me.

"Hey, um, my name's Matt? I'm a fan, I never thought I'd meet you here, but can I have a photo?" He asked, and I smiled.

"Of course." I smiled, "Kevie, can you take it?" I asked, and Matt handed him his phone.

"Yeah, um, smile." Kevin said, and took a few photos.

Thank you!" Matt smiled, and hurried away.

"Okay, what was that?" One of the guys asked, and I laughed.

"Oh, um, actually I'm- I'm a professional singer." I admitted, pulling up a photo on my phone, and sliding it across the table.

"That makes sense." He nodded.

"And to add to that, the song I sang? I'm in the revival of Bonnie and Clyde. I play Bonnie."

"Okay you're definitely cheating at karaoke."

"I know." I shrugged.

•••

Later that night, I was in bed, leaned against my husband who was half asleep, when I stumbled across a tweet from him.

Kevin Alvarez @KevinMAlvarez
She's definitely cheating at karaoke, but I'm certainly not complaining.

"Kev." I smiled a bit, and kissed his cheek.

"What?" He mumbled, moving further down into the bed.

"This video." I said, and tried to show him, but he wouldn't open his eyes.

"That's nice, A." He smiled, and kissed my head.

"Goodnight." I whispered, setting my phone down, and falling asleep in the crook of his neck.

•••

Okay, I'm gonna try and post daily from now on. They'll be shorter, and my updates will come up between 4:30 am - 7:00 am daily. Occasionally they will come the night before from 10:00 - 12:00 am.

Anyways love you guys.

Feel free to send me one shots as well, I love reading your writing wow

Thanks for reading

- Abi