Abi - What If... (part five)

"Mom!" Kevin yelled into the apartment, and his mom came over to the door.

"Hi honey, oh, Abigail? Baby girl, are you okay?" She seemed concerned.

"I'm f-"

"Mom we need to talk." Kevin cut me off, "A, uh, I was over at her house, and um, she, what was he doing?" Kevin looked back to me.

"I don't know." I whispered.

"Anyways, she, um, her foster dad, he hit her?"

"Mmhm." I nodded, "and he, uh, he, he..." I trailed off, crying. "Never mind, Kev? Can I use your phone?"

"Yeah." He nodded, and handed it to me, I started to dial my dad's phone number.

"Abigail?" Mrs. Alvarez put her hand on my arm. "Can you come with me?" She asked. I handed Kevin his phone back, and Mrs. Alvarez took my hand, and pulled me into her room.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Okay, uh, I need to call someone." She sighed.

"Please, Kev said he'd pay for the emancipation request, my dad, my real dad can push it along, he had influence, my mom is a lawyer." I rambled a little, "I can pay Kev back, it's just, if child protective services is involved, they'll relocate me, then I won't get emancipation because the situation will be different."

"What do you mean your dad has 'influence'?"

"Uh, I mean, I think he, he..." I trailed off, crying. "Please don't call, I can solve this."

"Baby..." she trailed off, "are you given sanctuary during the emancipation trial?" She asked.

"Mmhm." I nodded fervently, "if you're filing for domestic violence."

"And your mom can handle the case?"

"Yeah." I kept on nodding.

"Okay." She relented, "but, you're staying here until the trial starts, I'll take you back there tomorrow to grab your stuff."

"Thank you." I whimpered a little, and threw myself onto her in a hug.

"Okay, it's okay Abigail." She laughed, "now, do you have any bruises? Kev said he hit you."

"Yeah?" I bit my lip, "maybe, I don't know yet."

"Okay, I'll get you some ice, Love." She kissed my head, and I smiled a little to myself, she was like my mom.

"Hey?" I looked up to see Kevin come in, as he mom was leaving, "so, uh, I was high key eavesdropping, and, you're staying?"

"I don't want to impose, I'm sorry." I mumbled, looking at my lap.

"No, A, you're always sorry for something. My girlfriend is living with me for like a month? How is that bad?" He laughed, setting a hand right above my knee.

"No, I just, money? And space? And I'm sure your parents don't want me sharing your room, and I don't want to take over your living room, and I don't want to be a bother, and I feel like if we live together right after we start dating it won't work out." I rambled a bit.

"Abigail, A, shh." He laughed again, then slipped his hands behind my head, holding it up, his fingers mixed through my messy hair. "Sweetie." He sighed, then kissed me.

"Okay, Abigail, I need you to tell me exactly what he did, so I can help." Mrs. Alvarez came back into the room, with a rag and an ice pack.

"Uh, he uh, he hit me twice, with uh, with his belt." I mumbled. "Once on the front, and once on the back."