Abi - I Screwed Up

I took my bow at the end of Bonnie and Clyde one Friday, not smiling. I screwed up in Dyin' Ain't So Bad. I skipped the middle verse by accident, and I had this horrible knot in my stomach. When I came back up from the bow, I felt tears welling in my eyes. I bolted offstage right as the curtains began to close. I raced past everyone in the cast, and locked myself in my dressing room.

"Abigail? Pip-Squeak? Open the door." I heard Josh's voice, as he knocked a couple of times.

"One second." I whispered, my voice cracking. I changed out of my dress, and pulled on the black dress I wore to work this morning. "Okay, you can come in." I sighed, pulling the pins out of my wig.

"Hey, Abigail, its not that big of a deal." He said, sitting down on my couch. "Kurt caught on really quickly." He said, and I nodded a little. It was true, our conductor caught my mistake almost instantly. "Babe, you sounded great." He said, and started to help me take my mic off.

"Thanks. I'm just, people noticed, it's not a minor screw up." I groaned.

"Hey, darling, its not like you came out in the wrong costume, or you missed a cue, or you completely blacked out onstage, you just missed a verse. It's fine. You'll be fine." He said.

"Thanks Josh." I sighed a little, and gave him a hug. "You should probably go get changed."

"Okay, are you sure you'll be alright?" He asked, and I nodded. "Okay." He smiled at me, then left the room.

•••

I had just walked into a bar I had my jacket on, and I was nervously clutching my purse close to me. I had never been somewhere like here before. I awkwardly sat on the barstool, staring at the counter.

It was insanely loud, people were everywhere. It was a Friday night, at 11:30.

"Did you just come here to sit?" I heard the bartenders voice, and I looked up, and gave him a little smile.

"No. Uh, I don't really know how to order." I admitted, and a look of suspicion passed over his face.

"Can I see ID?" He asked, and I nodded quickly. I pulled my drivers license out of my wallet and handed it to him.

"Okay, you're 24, you're clean." He said, handing it back. "What's your drink?" He asked.

"I don't know, my dad liked w-"

"She'll have a shot of tequila." I looked behind me to see a girl, about my age standing behind me, the bartender looked at me for approval, and I nodded.

"Alright." He shrugged, and I turned around.

"Do I know you?" I asked, nervously.

"No, you just seemed unsure, and well, drinking alone sucks." She smiled, and I sighed a little sigh of relief. "My name's Grace." She said.

"Abigail." I smiled, and noticed my tequila shot sitting on the counter.

"Do you want to pay or start a tab?" The bartender asked.

"Tab." I sighed, I wasn't here for one shot, I needed to forget what I did tonight.

"Alright." He chuckled a little, and started a tab.

"C'mon Abigail." Grace said, and pulled me along behind her, she walked me to a table, and had me sit down. "This is my girlfriend Aibhlinn." She slipped an arm around the other girl.