Abi - Parental Rights

"Back in your old room." Ryan said, dropping my bag inside of my childhood bedroom.

"Mmhm." I mumbled, seeing the empty room with nothing but a bed with white sheets.

"Anyways we'll eat at 7:00, and um, I'll see if I could get you enrolled in school." He smiled at me, rubbed my shoulders, and kissed my forehead.

"Okay." I whispered, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Love you."

"Please leave." I requested, my voice shaking.

"Okay." He muttered, "be at the dinner table at 7."

"I will be." I nodded, and I saw Ryan walk out of the room. I dropped my bags on the ground, and climbed onto the bed, yanking the white comforter over me. I nuzzled my head into the singular pillow, hugging it tightly, heartbroken.

My biological mother, Laura, had passed away a few months prior, and Ryan, my biological father, leveraged the situation to pull me back home. I didn't know what was going to happen to me at this point.

•••

At 7:00, I trudged downstairs, and sat crosslegged at a chair at Ryan's table.

"Hey." Ryan smiled, setting a bowl of chili in front of me.

"Hi." I mumbled my response, staring at my lap.

"How was the flight down from NY?" He asked, sitting across from me at the table.

"Bad."

"I'm sorry, was it too long?"

"No." I whispered.

"Okay," he shrugged, "eat your dinner."

"You sound like my dad." I smiled a little bit, staring at my lap.

"I am your dad, Abigail." Ryan corrected, snapping.

"You're not my dad." I said, glaring at him, finally looking up.

"I'm your father, there's no getting around it." He shrugged, "I don't care if you like me or not, I have parental rights, you are my legal and biological daughter, grow up and deal with it."

"No." I snapped, and stood up from the table.

"Sit the hell down, Abigail."

"No." I repeated.

"You're my family. You're my entire family, your mother is gone so for god's sake sit down and be an actual part of this family."

"No." I said for the third time, "you shoved me out of this family first chance you had, and now you're just using me to replace your dead wife." I spat, and rushed back upstairs.

•••

It was the middle of the night, when I woke up to hear my bedroom door creak open.

"What's going on?" I mumbled, pushing myself up in my bed, to see Ryan almost staggering into the room. "Get out." I groaned, falling back into bed.

"C'mere." He chuckled, climbing onto my bed.

"Get out." I repeated, shoving him.