T h i r t y s i x

T H I R T Y  S I X

「  T  H  I  R  T  Y  S  I  X  」

:

Scarlett trudged through the wet painted cement paths of the concrete jungle. Rain pouring down from the low hung clouds. One arm wrapped around her torso the other clutching the strap of her bag.

Her body trembling as her clothes stuck to her body, her messy hair long fallen from its ponytail now loosely draped down her back sticking to the wet fabric . The two merging together to create one. The rain sodded clothes brushing harshly against her skin with every movement only irritating and rubbing at her skin.

Scarlett stood staring up at the warehouse. This is where it all began for her. Where she was introduced to the cruel things life had to offer. What a deal with the devil really looked like.
Hesitantly Scarlett reached out her pale fingers shakily grabbing hold of the warehouse door, slowly sliding the heavy door open just a crack. Just enough for her rain soaked body to get through into the shelter behind the doors. Murmurs could be heard further in the sheltered building. The groans and laughter of Jokers men ripples in the air filling Scarlett ears as she shuffled forwards, her body shaking as she clung to whatever heat her body could grasp. As the laughter and voices grew louder Scarlett began to feel her head spin. The cold wet fabric of her clothes contrasting the heat that began to sweep her skin. Her cheeks flushing to a rose red as she moved her hands shakily up and down her forearms.

As she grew closer to the voices her narrow slit eyes caught sight of a few of jokers men, all huddled around a beat up table, countless beer cans littering the surface along with an array of game cards and poker chips. Scarlett's eyes began to feel heavier and heavier, her body trembling as she stepped into the light of the small flickering fire beside them. A figure stood beside the fire caught her eyes. That auburn mane melted into a sickeningly sweet amber, almost like syrup that is drizzled across a warm stack of pancakes. Almost as if he could feel her presence his gaze shifted from the flickering flames to her. His eyes widening as he stared at the rain sodded girl, dull eyes staring back at him holding back shivers.

"Hi..." she said tirelessly her eyes narrowing as she stood awkwardly. "Hi." Jerome said walking forward away from the golden warmth.  The hench men all stopping what they was doing to stare at them both. All watching eagerly like a predator watching it's prey, curiosity eating them all up from the inside out. As Jerome reached out to Scarlett with his hand, his thumb reach out to caress her pale cheeks. Fearfully her eyes gazed into his, her tongue subconscious grazed her plump bottom lip out of habit. Jerome pulled his pitiful gaze from her lips back to her eyes, slowly turning his head to face jokers men.
"Tell the boss his daughters come home." He ordered pulling the young girl into his arms. Her trembling figure fitted perfectly into his. His mind filling with relief as he held her close to his warm body feeling her small shudders and trembling as she clung to his warmth. "What happened to you Scarlett?Wha—." Before he could continue pulling her head into his hands, his thumbs grazing her rosy flushed cheeks holding her head delicately her eyes began to wilt flickering shut as her body became a dead weight, collapsing into his own.
"Scarlett—hey hey stay with me now." He said shakily trying to keep up a happy demeanour. "I-I." She said breathlessly trying her hardest to stay awake, exhaustion taking over her body.

" Where's my baby!"
"Where is she? Let me through!" Harley screeched frantically, her footsteps echoing all around them growing closer until Scarlett felt soft hands touch her hair. " What have you done to my baby." She growled pulling Scarlett limp body from his arms cradling her head in her hands close to her chest. The pair crouched on the floor, Harley slender fingers brushing Scarlett hair away from her face. Her Spritely sent invading Scarlett nose leading for her to let out a small sigh, relaxing into her mothers hold. "Romey—what's happened to her." Harley trembled holding her child close. maternal panic flooding her veins "I'm not sure, but we need to get her to a room. She needs to rest."

Harley nodded wearily holding Scarlett close. A warm smile cradling her face as she held Scarlett in her arms.

Joker stalked into the room as one of his men scooped up his daughter in his arms carrying her past him with Harley at his side guiding him towards a room that Scarlett could stay in. His eyes trailing over the poor girls paled features with only her cheeks being a rosy pink colour.
"What happened." Joker growled as he roughly gripped Jerome's forearm as he attempted to follow Harley and the henchmen. Jerome swallowed the hard lump forming within his throat. "I don't know sir—she just came through the door—." Jerome began to croak and splutter gasping for breath as Joker hands clasped around his throat, fingers digging deep into his air ways a laugh creeping from jokers lips as his grilled teeth began to reveal themselves from behind his cracked lips. " p-please sir—."
If there was one thing that Joker hated more than not getting a good laugh out of everything he did. It was people begging for mercy begging for their lives. Their begging was like a taunting whisper in his ear begging for him to make them shut up, even if that meant keeping them quiet permanently.

"J" Harley shouted " J—you're daughter is hurt." Her footsteps stopping beside the two as she reached out to stop him from hurting Jerome anymore. " You promised you'd keep her safe, you'd stop those who wanted to hurt her." Her pleading agitating him further as he avoided her baby blue gaze. " Now is your chance—." "Argh." Joker let out a frustrated groan through his silver plated grill, Jerome body stumbling to the floor as he held his hands to his throat, choking out for breathe.
"J." She pleaded reaching out her slim slender fingers to touch his face. Her baby blue eyes meeting with his burning with hell fire sending a cold shiver down Harley spine. Her eyes widening in fear as she shuddered away from him. His shoulder barging  past her small form as she bit her lower lip, closing her eyes letting her long lashes brush her cheeks. "Thank you"
Harley's eyes opened flickering to Jerome. " You can say we're even now." She scoffed before sauntering off back towards her sleeping daughter.

Harley sat beside her daughters sleeping body. Exhaustion etched upon Scarlett face, Harley's fingers twisting a piece of dampened dirty blonde locks into a curl. After Harley had managed to clean her daughter up and get her out of her rain soaked clothes she began to notice the little things about her. How she was the perfect mesh of both herself and joker.
Harley's slender fingers grazed her daughters rosy cheeks, this one innocent act making her wince. Her eyes softening even more as if it was even physically possible for Harley heart to flutter anymore. This was the type of love she thought she'd felt towards joker no this love was so much more than that. She couldn't bare the thought of losing her daughter. Yes she hasn't been there most of her childhood or her teenage years but the love she was feeling now was almost unbearable, overwhelming Harley just didn't know what to do. A part of her, her maternal half did, it called out to her.

Harley hasn't noticed Joker standing on the doorway slyly peaking through the door. She had however noticed her daughters fingers automatically clasping hers as she slept. A small smile creeping onto her lips as she pulled their hands towards her lips. A shaking laugh leaving her lips as she held her hand close to her lips gently resting her face on them, a tear slipping down her face, a happy tear.
"It's ok baby, mommy here."
Joker stared at the two. He couldn't understand it. He stood there stiff as a board unable to understand what he was seeing. Yes he understood it to an extent but the physical idea made him flinch. The way Harley caressed the child's hair, cheek and laced their fingers together confused him. She was never like that with him it was different. He shuddered at the thought of admitting to himself that the girl, that girl who Harley has become so obsessed with was his. They where nothing alike, from what he could tell, from what Harley told him. He felt himself slowly beginning to freeze up. The way Harley looked at the girl who lay lifeless trapped in sleep he wondered what she was feeling, why she was feeling that way. How was it she was capable to feel it and he wasn't, he couldn't understand it and that drove him crazy.

Joker simple couldn't accept that someone could love him. Not in a way that others had but in a way so much more than that.

He began to feel anger and rage as he tore his eyes from Harley and Scarlett. Swiftly making his way down the hall towards his car. He didn't to release off some steam, he needed to close that door at the back of his mind that had begun to creak open. He needed a long drink.