RANT

DISCLAIMER: IF Y'ALL GET BUTTHURT,???WHY??? THIS IS ABOUT GAY???
WHAT I WANTED TO SAY WAS THAT I RESPECT ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE. I DON'T CARE WHAT SIZE YOU ARE OR WHAT STYLE OF CLOTHES YOU WEAR OR ATTITUDE YOU HAVE, JUST AS LONG AS YOU'RE NICE TO PEOPLE. THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS SO IF Y'ALL COME AT ME IN THE COMMENTS SAYING THAT I'M A BIGOT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT I'M GONNA FUCKING HIT YOU WITH THE DISCLAIMER BECAUSE I POURED MY HEART AND SOUL INTO THIS RANT AND IT MATTERS TO ME AND A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE LGBTQ+ COMMUNITY.

Okay I'd like to discuss a few things with my fellow readers and open up your eyes a little bit.

First off, gender.

Rebecca Sugar has stated that the gems are genderless. I appreciate and respect that, I mean they're rocks. But I want to highlight a few things to you all who argue about it.

While the gems are genderless, this is an actual first for me that I've seen an openly gay couple (Ruby and Sapphire) who isn't hyper-fetished in the media.
What I mean by this is that gay people are created and portrayed in this type of sense where gay men are feminine with soft voices. There's nothing wrong with that. But that's not every gay man.
A perfect example is in movies everywhere. Gay men are seen as metrosexual feminine people who are repulsed at the thought of women.
Same thing for women too.
They're seen and portrayed in the media as butch muscular women with short hair who are disgusted at the thought of men.
And also, if there is a same sex couple (I've seen this a lot with girl couples but not guys because good lord how dare a boy be feminine!!!!) one of them is dainty and feminine while the other is masculine. That's definitely okay since everyone is different, but in TV, it's used to sort of regulate this couple for the media as a kind of "regular" "straight couple", so they won't lose any viewers.
I don't really know how to explain this, but some companies choose not to use same-sex couples for a fear of losing the viewers. Disney supports the LGBT+ family, but imagine if they actually had Elsa be gay? Or someone like that? They would lose viewers so quick. So I understand that it's bad for business. For that there's only society to blame.

But Rebecca Sugar has went against the odds! I was actually so surprised when I saw Ruby and Sapphire. I mean, they're openly gay! And Pearl is in love with Rose (and crushed on the mystery girl), and Lapis and Peridot have a connection going. Ah the smell of gay in the morning. ☕

And It's not like Rebecca Sugar hates heterosexuals, there's hetero couples in the show. This is her way of regulating the media, by placing both homosexual and hetero couples in the show, and that's as it should be.

Also, there's non-binary characters. I mean, when have you actually seen that? And there's the fact that the Crystal gems understand and approve of the fact that Stevonnie is non-binary and they respect their pronouns.

Also, Steven was raised without gender roles because gems don't even know what that is (THEY'RE ROCKS) and Greg has only wanted his son to be happy. And Steven is!

Another thing that related to this subject is the arguing by some members of the fandom.
No doubt at some point in your life you've read somewhere,
"RUBY AND SAPPHIRE AREN'T GAY! THEYRE GENDERLESS, STOP CALLING THEM GAY!!!!"

I'm sorry to say this, but this makes you sound a bit ignorant. You're trying to comfort yourself that they're not actually gay, and that says something about you.

Also, people try to argue that Ruby is actually a boy. I understand that people will get upset at the thought of a same sex couple because of heteronormality. But for fuck's sakes! The gems clearly use she/her pronouns. CHECK THE WIKI, BOI I SEEN IT WITH ME OWN EYES. RUBY USES SHE/HER PRONOUNS.

Also, with the whole genderless thing.

This show helps represent the idea of same sex couples to young children, and to actually include gay/LGBT+ kids and teens in something for once. But when you say that Ruby and Sapphire aren't gay, you're basically ruining everyone's good time.

Also, Rebecca has also stated that the show does have LGBT+ themes, and the Wikipedia page on Rebecca Sugar literally says the themes of the show are of her experiences as a bisexual woman. I SEEN IT WITH ME OWN EYES.

Like I said, I respect the fact that they don't have a gender. But that's sort of a way to sit you back on your stool when you're outraged at the fact that there's a gay couple on the TV screen.
It's also a way to tell the viewers that the gems love each other no matter what gender. They don't have one! That's why it's not taboo for Ruby and Sapphire to be a couple in the show. Also, gems are just gems, man. They have no gender roles or ideas of gender and what clothes you should put on your flesh prison just because of the star sign of your genitals.

I'm just trying to highlight some things and open people's eyes.