Island Records

{Lexi's POV}

"Olivia can you pass me my hairbrush?" I ask to my friend, as I sit on my dressing table.
"I'm excited for tonight." She says, reaching over.
"So am I, my manager said that this party will be good because it will introduce me to other artists."
"What if Ed Sheeran was there!"
"I highly doubt that Olivia." I laugh.
"But a record deal, this is huge Lexi! You're gonna be releasing music, albums, what about a tour!"
"We'll just have to wait and see. Besides, we need to focus on tonight. Now, warm smoky eye or sharp eyeliner?" I chuckle.
"Defiantly warm smoky eye, pair it with a nude gloss and you're going to slay." Olivia says.
"What would I do without you?" I laugh.

As we blast up the music, I start to brush my hair.
All I could think about was how quickly my life's changed.
It was only a year ago I started posting covers onto my YouTube channel. I did it for fun, I never expected to be discovered. It was a dream if anything.
Nonetheless I was excited.
This man who works for this record company, called Andrew, came across my cover of 'Halo' by Beyoncé. Not even my best one.
But he sent me an email and asked if we could meet in his office in Toronto city.
And long story short, I'm here. Getting ready for the yearly Island Record Christmas party. Although, Andrew said this would also be like my 'introductory to the label' party as well.
I'm taking my best friend Olivia with me because I need someone familiar here with me. And if it wasn't for her boosting up my confidence to post the first song, I wouldn't be here right now.

"Lexi, the uber is nearly here, are you nearly ready?" Olivia asks, putting her high heels on.
"Yeah almost, how do I look?" I ask, checking my outfit. Again.
"Lexi you look fire! All the boys better watch themselves." She laughs.
"Says you!"
"What can I say? We're a duo."
"Bet!" I laugh, whilst picking up my beige clutch bag.

We make our way into the uber and start to make our way to Toronto City.

The journey didn't take too long. We had a great chat with the driver about his amazing music taste and we all started singing to Jon Bellion.

"We're here." The driver says, after about half an hour.
"Thank you, have a nice evening." Olivia and I say in sync.

We walk arm in arm into the venue.
"Check this place out!"
"It's starting to feel real." I say, in amazement, looking at the Christmas decorated lobby.

We walk over to a big guy who's standing by a large door.
"Are you Miss Lexi Taylor?" This man asks.
"I am."
"And you're Miss Olivia Davis, the plus one?"
"That's me." She laughs.

"Right through here ladies, have a lovely evening and Merry Christmas." He smiles, signalling us through the door.
"You too." I reply, as Olivia and I walk through the door.

Instantly we were met by the sound of music. There were lights flashes everywhere, it was crazy. But I loved it.
"Lexi, should I get us some drinks?" Olivia kind of shouts as hearing was limited due the noise.
"Sure! I see Andrew over there and I should say hi to him. Could you get me a martini please?"
"I won't be a minute."
Olivia walks over to the bar and I make my way through groups of people until I'm standing next to Andrew.
I didn't say anything at first as I saw he was talking to some guy.
"Oh hi Lexi, how are you?" He says, noticing that I was there.
"Oh sorry, I can come back if you want to finish talking?" I say.
"No, no. It's fine. Lexi this is Shawn. Shawn Mendes. I'm also his manager as well. You're kind of like co-workers in some sense."
"Nice to meet you Lexi." Shawn says with a smile.
"You too Shawn." I say back.
"Now Lexi, I was hoping that you can come to our headquarters in the new year, so that we can discuss your debut single with me and some other studio workers."
"That would be great, I'll be there."
"I'll send you an email confirming it. I just need to talk to the setup crew, I'll see you around."
I said goodbye and Andrew walked off, leaving me and Shawn.
"Andrew was telling me how he discovered you on YouTube." He said.
"Yeah he did, I'm so lucky and thankful."
"I know the feeling, it was the same with me."
"No way! See we already have something in common." I giggle.
"You know, I'm performing here, in a bit."
"Are you? What song?" I ask, intrigued.
"It's a new one of mine, it's called Mercy."
"I'm excited to here it!"
"Listen, not that long ago I was in your position. I was excited and overwhelmed. I was so scared. And you have to keep this secret because I didn't tell anyone."
"Then why are you telling me?" I say, looking up at him.
"Because I want you to know, if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here."
"We barely know each other." I chuckle.
"Well maybe we'll get to know each other better soon." He smiles.
"I should go find my friend" I say.
"Well I guess I'll see you around Lexi." He smiles.
"See you around Shawn." I hopelessly grin.

As Shawn turns away, I look behind me and see Olivia smiling like crazy.
"How long have you been standing there." I sarcastically say.
"Long enough! He's a cutie."
"Oh shut up. I have Finn. I laugh.
"I think you've pulled." She says, raising her eyebrow and passing me my drink.
"Hardly, we were only making small talk. And just because I'm not talking to Finn right now doesn't mean that we've broken up. He was just too busy to come tonight." I reply, sipping my drink.
"Whatever you say."
"Enough about me. So Olivia, like the look of anyone?" I laugh.
"Oh, well actually."
"Of course." I giggle.
"Sh! No he was sweet. He bought us our drinks as a matter of fact."
"Did you get a name?" I ask.
"Nope unfortunately."
"That sucks."
"I'll get over it. Cheers!" She says, as we both raise our glass.

After an hour of dancing, singing and mildly drinking. The music quietened down.

"I hope everyone is having a fantastic time tonight!" Andrew says, taking over the main microphone.
"Now before a special performance from Shawn Mendes, I'd like to take this moment to bring the newest member of the Island Record's family, Lexi Taylor up the stage."

I looked straight over at Olivia and she looked at the stage, signalling me to go onto it.
I walk up onto the stage and I was instantly welcomed with a few cheers and many claps.
"I'd just like to say thank you to everyone at Island Records for giving me the chance to work with them. Merry Christmas everyone!"
The crowd once again cheered and I made my way back to Olivia.
"Get you." She laughed.
"I was not prepared for that." I giggle.

The lights went down and there were a few murmurs from everyone.

"Oh this is Shawn's new song." I whisper to Olivia.
"Well if you know that, that's more than small talk."
"Whatever", I reply.

Shawn comes onto the stage and everyone cheers for him.

As his song came to the end, all of us was in awe. He was phenomenal singer. He was literally losing himself in that song. The passion was real. Now that's the kind of artist I look up to.

As the night came to the end, Olivia and I were quite drunk, not going to lie.
But I was able to meet lots of important people in the industry and many other artists as well.
Although, I kept think about that Shawn Mendes.
There was just something about him.