Engagements

2 Weeks Later...

{Lexi's POV}

I lock the front door as I see a very excited Olivia waving from her car. I smile as I walk on over and get in the passengers side.

You see, Olivia and Ian went on their own kind of holiday the day before I came back from Australia. He surprised her with a trip to Los Angeles. They came back only yesterday, but yet Olivia was pretty persistent that we go out today. I haven't had the chance to tell her about Shawn, and I'm sure I will at some point today. I mean I'm still a mess about it, for Gods sake all I wish is that we never went on that stupid trip. I have no closure from him because he hasn't bothered contacting me. And I know that he'd be back in Pickering by now. But hey, if he wants to move on with his new girl, then by all means I'm not stopping him.

"Hey Olivia, how are you?" I say.
"I was gonna wait until we were at the restaurant, but I can't hide it!"
"What can't you hide?" I laugh.
"Look!" She screams, as she shows me her left hand with a diamond ring on her finger.

"Is that... An engagement ring?" I ask, completely shocked.
"Yes! We were only a few nights into the trip and he took me on a walk along the beach one evening. And I was so shocked when he went down onto one knee..."
"Oh my god...." I pause.

They have literally only been dating for 4 months. The fuck. And she's only just turned 19 like 2 months ago. But I guess if they're happy, then I have to be happy for them.

"That is the best thing I've ever heard Olivia! Oh my god congrats! I better be a bridesmaid." I laugh.
"What about Maid of Honour?"
"Are you being serious?! I'd love to be!" I reply.
"And Ian was saying how he'd ask Geoff to be his best man. We were thinking of a big-ish wedding. And we don't know when it will be but we really want to have it in December."

"This December?!" I say, in shock.

"Well now that we're engaged, we don't really see the point of waiting years to get married, we still have a few months to plan everything. Oh and both our families were skeptical at first when we told them over skype, but they couldn't be happier for us now."
"This is so exciting." I glee.

"But enough about me, how was Australia with Shawn?"

The one question I knew she would ask, yet prayed that she wouldn't.

"Oh um, well I'll get into all that later, let's focus on you and your engagement! Let's head to the restaurant now before it gets too busy."

-------------------------------

We only go to Pickering Mall for lunch, but we went to our favourite restaurant. I ordered Avocado salad because I was trying to kid myself that I was gonna start being healthy.

"So from my side of the family, I was going to invite Mom, Dad, all my brothers and I'm sorry but I'll have to invite my Aunt's family. Including Finn."

"No I understand, he's your cousin, plus we've all moved on from that chapter in our lives." I joke, as I take a sip from my water.

"At least he'll back off if he sees Shawn with you."

"Come again?" I ask, confusingly.

"You and Shawn... Duh." She laughs. However, she stops when she sees my blunt face.

"Has something happened Lexi?" Olivia asks, sounding more serious.
"I really don't want to talk about this today-"
"Lexi I swear to god you better tell me what's happened-"

"Shawn kissed another girl." I say bluntly.

"What the actual fuck-"

"And I don't know if they had sex because I left. I came back from Australia two weeks ago."
"Has he tried speaking to you since then? I can't believe him."
"Not at all, I left him a messaging saying that I came home early, and we would've been back from the trip last week. So he probably doesn't care about me and is happy with his new girl."
"Do you know who she is?" Olivia asks.

"It was Erin" I sigh.

"As in your close friend Erin?! You can't trust anyone these days, aside from me. I'm your favourite."

"You really are Olivia."

"I just can't believe the fact he has literally just ditched you. I thought you guys were it, the kinda couple everyone wanted to be like. Although I always knew there was something off about him, like the way he ignored you after your first kiss."

"I just want closure, you know?" I say.

"I do."
"But I can't be the one who's gonna call him and hoping that he picks up. I don't deserve that. I can't physically do that."

"My heart is breaking for you Lexi-" She says, grasping my hand with hers from across the table.

"It still hurts. God it feels like my heart is being ripped into shreds. The worst thing is that I feel like if he apologized, even today, I'd take him back in a heartbeat."

"You can't do that..."
"And I wouldn't, because he won't apologize. That's the reality."

"I feel so awful that I sprung my engagement onto you. I'm such a shit friend."
"You're really not Olivia. You've been my bestest friend since the first day of Kindergarten and not once have you ever let me down. Please let me be genuinely happy for you and Ian, I'm over the moon that you both really do love each other."

And for the rest of the meal, Olivia and I talked all about wedding interiors and honeymoon destinations.
-------
We walked back into the car park, giggling at the fact a 16 year old boy tried chatting us up. For the first time since Australia, I actually started to feel a tiny bit better.

However, a familiar looking person pulling up in a familiar black jeep shattered all of this.

{A/N okay so we're getting near the end of this book but there's still quite a few chapters left so don't worry ☺️ I just wanted to let you know that after this book I have an idea for another one!}

Ruin || Shawn MendesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara