Cancelled Dinners

{Lexi's POV}

"What do you say?" I ask Shawn, through the phone.
"I'd love that, but are you sure?" He replies.
"It's a change from going out, I don't mind making dinner."
"What were you thinking of making?" He laughs.
"I hadn't gotten that far... Do you like lasagna or -?"
"I love lasagna." Shawn continues to laugh.
"Ok sorted then, what time do you wanna come over?"
"I'll be over at 7?"
"Sounds good, I think my Mom's going to some school reunion thing at 6 so."
"I see." I could tell he was smirking through the phone.
"So I'll um see you soon."
"See you soon baby."

-------------------------
{Shawn's POV}

I put my phone hazily down to my side. It was currently 3:30pm and I was going to go out with Matt.
I was going to drive to his house and we were gonna go to the mall. I want to buy something for Lexi, but I'm not sure what yet.
I grab my car keys from my dresser and lace up my trainers.

I walk down the stairs, out the door and into my car. I connect my Spotify and I decide to play Chance.

The journey took no more than 5 minutes. I grabbed my phone that was laying on the leather passenger seat, and text Matt to let him know I was outside.

A few moments later he came out and got into my car.
"Cammick what's good?" I laugh.
"It's been too long shawn, when was the last time we met up?" Matt says.
"Honestly I think it was before Christmas."
"Shit man, we have some catching up to do."
"We do, I heard about you and Zoe."
"Oh yeah, well it's still not official or anything.-"
"You have had a crush on her since middle school." I snort.
"Only you knew about that Mendes." He laughs.
"I'm happy for you guys, it's so weird how we've all just grown up and done our own things."
"It feels like yesterday we were all at your pool in the summer, just chilling and jamming."
"They were some fucking amazing times."
"Have you seen Lauren, um.... since?-" he nervously asks.
"No haven't, to be honest I wouldn't know what to say to her, if I did see her again."
"A year is a pretty long time to avoid someone."
"I'm not avoiding, I just haven't had the need to speak or see her."
"Fair enough, I heard about Lexi, she seems nice." Matt says.
"She'll have to meet you guys soon, she's amazing." I say, happily.
"I'm happy for you Shawn, you need someone like that." He says. "Hey, are you coming to the bonfire later?"
"What bonfire?" I ask, confusingly.
"I thought you knew, Ian was supposed to text you. Me and Zoe thought it would be cool if the whole group got together again and had a bonfire by the lake tonight. So that would be me, you, Brian, Ian, Lyall, Zoe, Harriet and..... um.....".
"Lauren." I finish his sentence.
"Yeah."
"I don't think I'll come, I said to Lexi that I'd be going round her house for dinner."
"No that's cool shawn, it'll be a shame to to not have you there with the whole group, but we'll be alright."
"Yeah I'm sorry, perhaps another time." I say.
"So how's your music going?" Matt says, changing the subject.
"Really well, I'm still working on my second album, but I've only finished two songs so far."
"That's two more than I'd ever do." He laughs. "But I've heard Mercy on the radio, it's actually really good."
"Thanks man."
"Based on anyone?" He raises his eyebrow.
"Not when I wrote it, I was thinking that it could be be about someone who is so consumed in their passion for something. Like mine would be with music."
"Huh, well now that you say that I get what you mean. I bet now though, you're not only begging Lexi for mercy." He laughs his head off.
"I would savage you back, but I can't even lie that was a good one." I reply as We fist bump.

The drive didn't take too much longer before we got to the mall.

We spent a few hours walking around and then eating some lunch. We decided to go for a classic Tims.
"I haven't had Tims in so long." Matt says, stuffing his face.
"I can tell." I laugh. "Oh I almost forgot, before we go, I need to get something for Lexi."
"And the boyfriend of they year goes to Shawn Mendes."
"Very funny." I mock his laugh. "No but seriously, I don't know what to get."
"Ok so the question is why are you getting it?"
"Her release of her single is in a few weeks and I wanted to get her something special to celebrate that."
"You're so sweet."
"Matt stop, I have no idea."
"Get her a necklace?"
"Really?"
"Girls love them." He says.
"I guess I could get her one, but I'm not going to get a random one."
"We can go to the jewellers after this."
"Thanks Matt."

---------------
"Shawn we've been in here for almost half an hour." Matt says, looking at the time on his phone.
"I'm sorry, I just don't know which one to get, I've narrowed it down to these three." I say. "It has to be perfect."
"Why does it matter so much?" He asks.
"Because Lexi isn't just an ordinary girl. She isn't a random girl to me. Matt, she's the kind of person who'd make me say that I'm in love, with her. So she can't just get a random piece of jewellery, she needs something special."
"In my opinion, I really like the one with the white gold detailing." He laughs.

------
I soon make up my mind and the worker packages up the necklace in a fancy bag.
"I can't believe it's almost 7." Matt says.
"Damn that's gone quick, did you need a lift to the bonfire thing?"
"Ah that would be great, thanks."

I drive the familiar route to the lake. It started to get darker and colder.
"Ah I can see that all the guys are already there." Matt says, as I pull up.
"Have a good time." I reply.
"Shawn, just stay for a bit, for old times sake." Matt pleads.
"I really can't, Lexi-"
"She'll understand, cmon Shawn, the old group-"
"Fine, ok." I laugh.
"I'll meet you all out there in a minute, let me just call her and let her know."
"See you in a minute Mendes." Matt says, closing the car door.
I take my phone out from my pocket and I call Lexi.
After a few rings, she picks up.
"Hey baby."
"Hi shawn, the food is ready, I'm just about to put in the garlic bread-"
"I can't come." I blurt out.
"What?" I could tell she was let down.
"I'm sorry, it's just that this bonfire thing came up and it's with all my old friends. Maybe I can make you dinner some time?"
"No I get it, you have fun tonight."
"I'm glad you're okay, I'll speak to you tonight or in the morning." I say.
"Oh... Um... Yeah... Sure." She says.
"Love you, bye."
"Have fun, and you too."

She hangs up and I was confused.
Was she really mad?

-----------------------------
{Lexi's POV}

I whack my phone onto the table, that I had just laid.
I sat there, in my dress that I put on moments before. I then take the pin holding my hair up, and let my hair fall against my shoulders.

It wasn't that I was annoyed with him for wanting to see his friends. It just that he didn't feel that bad for telling me so late. Like all this effort. I just feel disappointed.

I stand up hazily and blew out the candle. I put the Lasagna and garlic bread in the fridge.

I grab the bottle of red wine and pour myself a large glass of it.
I get the drink and I go and sit on the sofa.

I turn on my new favourite show Sherlock. I sit back and watch it, thinking about how much I wanted to watch this with Shawn.
I get pissed at myself for wanting his company, so without hesitation I drink a large gulp.