Bonfire

{Shawn's POV}

"MENDESSS." The boys shout as I walk over to them, zipping up my coat.
"Beer?" Ian asks.
"No I'm driving, thanks though." I reply.
"So where's the others?" Matt asks.
"The girls will be here in a minute, Harriet just text me." Lyall says.
"When was the last time we were all together?" Ian laughs, whilst drinking some beer.
"It was too long ago, I know that." I say.
"Ah I see them." Brian says, signalling that the girls have arrived.

They came over and Matt lit the bonfire.

You could soon feel the heat radiate onto all of us.
I kept my hands in my pockets, as I didn't bring gloves like everyone else.

I was talking to Lyall and Ian about the recent hockey matches, and in the corner of my eye, I saw Lauren just standing there alone.
I looked around and saw that Zoe was hugging Matt and Harriet was chatting away to Brian. I felt like I should say hi or something, so I left Lyall talking to Ian.

As I approached her, she looked up and took a deep breath, just as I had done.
"Um... Hi." I say, nervously.
"Hi Shawn, how are you?" She asks.

This was so awkward.

"I've been really good, stuff with my music especially, I heard about your dance college, I'm happy for you, I know it was always your dream." I say.
"I can't believe they really accepted me."
"Why wouldn't they? If I can remember you were a pretty great dancer."
"I just think I've been really focused this year, and it must've paid off." She smiles.

There was a silent moment. Perhaps she was thinking the same. After years of being friends and couple, we can only make small talk.
Here's a bit of a backstory. Lauren and I had been friends since elementary school. Our parents were great friends. So as you can imagine, we spent a lot of time with each other. However, it wasn't until sophomore year of high school that we became a couple. When you're 16, you think that you're gonna be together for ever. And it wasn't until the end of senior year, right before graduation, I was offered my record deal. Lauren was so supportive because she knew how much I loved to sing. I wrote a few songs about her in fact. Like 'Kid in Love' and 'Crazy'. But after being away for months touring for the first album, I knew it wasn't fair to keep her waiting me, she was miserable. So I did break up with her, heck I even wrote 'Running Low' after her. I knew I broke her heart, but it was for the best. And now a year later, we're here.

"So how's your music going?" She asks, breaking the silence.
"It can get stressful, but it's going great, Brian told me that you like Mercy."
"I love it." She laughs.
"Ah I'm pleased to hear that". I reply.
There was a pause.
"Listen Lauren..... I really don't want things to be awkward between us, because there was a time we were best friends." I say.
"Me too Shawn, when we broke up, of course I was heartbroken, but I know that it was for the best, I'm happy to move past that."
"That would be amazing Lauren."
"Oh and I saw that you have a new girlfriend." She smiles.
"I feel like everyone knows now." I laugh. "But Lexi is great."

"Why didn't you invite her?" She asks.
"I just came last minute, she can meet you all some other time." I reply.
"Well how about, you and I find some marshmallows and roast them, for old times sake."
"You know me too well." I laugh.

Lauren gets the pack of marshmallows out of her bag and we roast them on the bonfire.
Everyone soon joins in, and there we were all just chilling.

The night carried on and soon it was 11pm.
One by one everyone was leaving to go home.
"I should be making a move guys." I say to Lauren, Zoe and Matt, the only people left.
"Shawn can I just speak to you quickly." Lauren asks, quietly.
"Sure, of course."

She pulls me over, further away from Matt and Zoe who were making out.
"Please can you give me a ride home?" She blurts out. "It's just that Zoe was my ride, but then she tells me that Matt's coming to, which is fine, but I don't really want to wait for them to finish making out."
"It's fine Lauren." I laugh, whilst reassuring her.
"Oh thankyou so much." She smiles.

"Ok guys, we're going." I say.
"Oh Lauren, are you not coming with me and Matt, in my car?" Zoe asks.
"Oh... Um." Lauren stutters.
"I offered to drive her." I quickly say.
"Shawn, don't go trying your old tricks." Matt laughs.
"I wouldn't dream." I chuckle.

Soon Lauren and I get into my car. I quickly put the heating on, and start the engine.
"Thankyou again Shawn." She says, rubbing her hands together.
"You don't have to keep saying that." I laugh.

Something automatically made me use my free hand to hold hers.
"Shawn-". She says, looking at me.
"You looked cold, I just wanna warm you up." I reply.

I put on the radio, and kept quiet, with the only noise being the music.

"And here we are." I say, as I pull up outside her house. "Do you want me to walk you to your door?"
"You don't have to." She laughs.
"It'll be my pleasure."
We stroll out to her front door and we just stood there.

"It was good seeing you again." I say.
"I'll see you soon, maybe we might not leave it a year."
"Defiantly not, goodnight."
"Night Shawn." She replies.
We moved closer and before I knew it, our lips were pressed against each other's. My mind was completely focused on what was happening. I open my eyes and I pull back quickly.
"I.... need to go." I say, in shock.

I broke the space between us by taking a step back and walking back to my car.

------------------------
{Lauren's POV}

I just stood there as he got into his car.
I unlock the door and walk in.

I throw my bag onto the floor and I take my coat off.
Shawn Fucking Mendes. I haven't seen him for a year. And in that year, I focused on my dancing and trying to get over him.
And I thought I had, I really did. But as soon as I saw him smile at me, I knew, I still love him. And that kiss, did I initiate it? Or did he? He has a girlfriend.

But fuck I still love him. He was the first person I loved in that way. For two whole years he was my everything.

He once told me that I needed a love that would consume me. And just then he took my breath away.