Chapter 26

-Sebastian-

After slipping on James' shirt from the night before and a pair of sweat pants I lead James out of my bedroom and down the servant stairs to the kitchen. The house is chilly and dark, the only form of light streaming in from the windows. Wanda isn't in the dark kitchen when James and I get down the stairs.

"Weird," I mutter. "I never realized how creepy my house was in the dark and with no one here,"

James hums as he hugs me from behind. "I'll keep you safe,"

I laugh as I turn in his arms to face him. "I don't think my house will hurt me,"

James shrugs. "You never know, the counter could grab your hip, or a chair could jump out and trip you,"

I laugh again as I shake my head, then James tilts his head to the side as his eyebrows furrow. "What?" I ask.

"Your cell phone is ringing," He replies.

"What?" I don't hear my phone.

"In your bedroom," He clarifies. I almost ask how he knows before I remember he is a werewolf and can probably hear it with super hearing or something.

"Alright," I say with a sigh. "I'll go get it," James smiles before he follows me back up the stairs. "Didn't I say I would get it?" I ask with a chuckle.

"You did, but I wanted to go with you," He says honestly.

"Okay," I chuckle again as I open my bedroom door. Just as I open the door the ringing of my phone stops. "Just my luck," I mutter.

I start to walk towards my nightstand to see who the missed call was from but I end up tripping over the loose board on my flooring. I go flying and once again I hit my chin on the corner of my nightstand. I can feel the skin rip from my chin the second it happens. My body then slumps to the ground as I groan.

"Sebastian!" James calls out frantically before I feel his hands pulling me onto his lap. "Are you okay, baby? Talk to me,"

I groan again and feel a lone tear slide down my cheek as I start to feel the burn of the fresh cut on my chin. James quickly wipes the tear away with his thumb before he inspects my chin.

James tsk's as he shakes his head. "Is this how you got the scar?"

"The one on my chin?" I whisper. "Yes,"

James has a sad look on his face. "And you said your house wouldn't hurt you,"

I can't help the smile that lights up my face, but the action makes the fresh wound on my chin to burn even more so I let out a hiss and stop smiling.

"That's why the rug is there, because that damn loose board always trips me," I mutter. "How did it get flipped?"

James glances behind him at the rug before he looks back at me and shrugs his shoulders. "Oh Sebastian," He cries out and hugs me to his chest. "See, it's a good thing I followed you up," I nod my head before he kisses my cheek. "Okay, let's get that cleaned up," Then he stands up while keeping me in his arms.

"I can still walk you know," I say with a chuckle.

"Mhm," He hums. "I'm still going to carry you,"

"Why?" I question as he makes his way to my bathroom.

"Because I like to touch you, and this way I can make sure your house doesn't hurt you again,"

I try to smile but quickly stop that and just hug his neck. "Thank you," I mutter.