Chapter 29

**James**

I pace my bedroom floor with my cellphone in my hand, my thumb hovering over the 'call' button. I need to do this. I have to do this. This is something I should have already done. Sebastian is counting on me to do this. Come on, James. Just call your parents already! I look down at my phone and watch as my thumb struggles to push the 'call' button. My finger twitches and the call goes through to start ringing. My heart thumps in my chest.

"Shit, I didn't mean to actually do that," I panic. I'm about to press the 'end' button but I'm too late.

"James?" I hear my dad's gruff voice speak through the little speaker. "It's late, son, what's up?"

"Oh, uhm, I'm sorry, I'll j-just call back l-l-later. S-s-sorry f-for w-waking you g-g-guys," I quickly stutter out before pressing the 'end' button. My heart thumps in my chest almost painfully as I practically gasp for air.

I'm about to toss the phone onto my bed before it starts to vibrate in my hand. I almost jump out of my skin from the vibrations and produce a very unmanly squeak of fright. It's a good thing I'm alone in my bedroom or else I would have had to kill whoever witnessed that. Unless it was Sebastian, then he can see anything I do, no matter how utterly embarrassing.

I look down at the caller ID and see my home phone number flash across the screen. Not the Pack House number, but our personal landline only for the Alpha and his family. Why are they calling from the landline? Because it's late and they should be in bed already. What a son I am for waking them up.

I gulp and press the 'answer' button. "H-h-hello?" I mentally kick myself for all the embarrassing stuttering. This should not be this hard!

"James what is wrong?" My father demands.

"Honey, are you okay? Did you get into an accident? What happened?" My mother asks worried. Do they always put me on speaker?

"U-u-uhm," I try. "No,"

"No? No what?" My father asks.

"No," I repeat.

"James Adonis Fletcher, you better start making some sense boy," My mother growls through the phone.

"Well," I say slowly. "I'm calling about my m-m-mate,"

There is silence on the other line and I pray they hung up on me so I don't have to continue.

"What happened with your mate?" Dad asks in concern.

"Oh no, honey. Did you reveal yourself? Did she not accept you?" Mom cries out.

"No," I say slowly again.

"James," My father's voice is hard and impatient.

I take a deep breath and clear my throat. "Mom, dad," I brace myself. "Your speaking to a mature mated wolf now,"

More silence follows. I bite my bottom lip so hard that blood fills my mouth. The wound quickly heals itself but I quickly bite into it again for more blood to assault my taste buds.

"What?" My mother whispers.

"I'm not too sure about that mature part," My father jokes.

"I'll have you know that I am very mature," I throw back.

"Wait, shut up," Mom growls. "Mated? Your mated? My baby boy is mated?"

"Well, yeah," I rub the back of my neck awkwardly and clear my throat. "Events didn't quite go as planned. It was just supposed to be a date, nothing else, I swear. But then I had this strong urge to reveal my wolf, so I did. And, uhm, I got yelled at for keeping him a secret, but then we uhm, we mated. And uhm, yeah. Now my mate wants to meet you guys. So, the whole point of waking you guys up was to ask if you would like to visit for Christmas and meet my mate."