7. Pray For Sleep

They let me go once they decided that my only problem was pregnancy. I cried for what felt like weeks. I cried the entire way home. I cried in my living room. I cried in the kitchen. In the bathroom. I just cried until I was dry.

I must have passed out because when I woke up, it was daylight. My eyes burned as the sun beamed on my face. I was still in my clothes from last night with the papers still crumpled in my hands. I threw the papers away from me, completely offended by the information they held. I sat up on my floor, clutching my phone to my chest. I called Eva when I left the hospital but I never took the time to answer her back.

37 missed calls.

"I should probably call her back." I mumbled.

I mentally willed myself to speak words even though I didn't want to. The thought of breathing even pained me.

"Bitch, why is there a chain on your door? I should kill you. I went to the hospital and they said you weren't there. Wait, why were you in the hospital? Are you dead? Is this your spirit?" Eva ranted.

I held back a smile.

"It's me. And I have terrible news." I breathed.

"What's wrong? Are you okay? Ohmygod did you break anything? Are you sick?" She rambled.

"I'm pregnant, E. Like period stopping, body ruining, life ruining, weird cravings, giving birth, lifetime commitment. Pregnant." I sobbed.

"Oh Harp." Eva breathed.

"I can't do this." I choked out.

I hung up the phone and tossed it across the room. My body shook with unshed tears. I wailed harder as reality hit. I'm ashamed. Disgusted. Cursed.

A whore.

There's no way in hell I can go through with this.

I hid my key in a different spot so Eva couldn't get in. She has been trying to contact me since I told her. She even threatened to break my door down. She was the only one. I haven't told anyone else. I never want to.

"At least I'm not 16 and pregnant." I mumbled to myself.

No, you're 19 and stupid.

I groaned and went back to the cave that I called a bedroom. The pitch black coolness welcomed me with open arms. The closest thing to feeling what I wanted.
----

As darkness fell, so did my mood. I felt myself sinking deeper and deeper into myself. Not like a spiral, but like never ending quicksand. Slow, tortuous, restricting. It was pulling me under and the harder I fought, the deeper I fell.

I stood in front of the mirror for the first time in I don't know how many days. I felt beautiful the last time I looked. My hair was perfect. My skin was healthy. My body was becoming perfect. Days later... nothing was the same.

Months later, I'll be ruined.

I looked at the tears streaming down my face. I looked exactly how I felt. Lifeless. My eyes were hollow, begging for sleep. My face was twisted in agony. I felt empty. Disgusting. Numb.

Just do it.

End it all while you can.

It will only get worse from here.

Do it.

Without a second thought, I reached into the cabinet and grabbed my sleeping pills. I popped one into my mouth. Then one more. Then another. Sleep didn't come after those. Before I knew it, I tossed a handful into my mouth. My body seemed to want me to suffer. I tried to swallow them, but my stomach rebelled against my plan of achieving eternal sleep. As my escape emptied into the toilet, so did my cries for mercy.
----
Eva
*
Harper hung up on me right when I was going to ask how she felt. I already knew based on how she told me. Body ruining. Life ruining.