16. Whose Baby Is It Anyway

Lucien
*

Looking at the tiny human in front of me was incredible. She was mine. I helped create her. Her small pink lips, silky dark hair, big brown eyes. She looked like her mother. But there was someone else in her features. They weren't mine.

Aba.

My grandmother was written all over her. The bold eyebrows, her button nose, pinchable cheeks all belonged to my dear Aba.

When Eva said Harper was in a coma and they needed a parental figure to come down, I left my office immediately. I took one look at the little beauty and knew she needed the name.

I was told I had strict orders to stay away from Harper's room, so I spent all of my time in the nursery. The nurses gossiped a lot and some of the things they mentioned set off alarms with me.

"You'll be taken care of, little one." I whispered softly to my daughter.

My daughter
---

I've questioned my marriage so much lately that I'm beginning to think outsiders even know about the failure.

We haven't slept in the same bed in three months. Which really isn't that odd. She has always found a way out of the country for extended periods of time.

Just last week, she decided that trying to make a baby was too stressful and she needed to take a spa trip. I agreed because, I don't even care anymore. I already have my kid.

The doorbell sounded on my phone as my brother's face came into view. He put his eye directly into the camera.

"You know, I'm just giving you a heads up. I know how to get in." He joked.

"Let yourself in, I'm on my way home." I laughed softly.

"Ciao." He punched in the code, making my phone beep again. I shook my head. Leave it to my brother to be the perfect distraction.
---

Walking straight into the basement, I found Cree and the guys huddled around the bar.

"Where have you been?" Cree asked. He already knew the answer; he wanted me to tell everyone else.

"I had to go check on someone at the hospital." I shrugged, removing my hoodie.

"Everything okay?" Guess asked, loosening his tie.

"Yeah, great actually." I answered while pouring my glass full of Jack.

"You would think a billionaire would have more expensive taste." Wyatt mused.

"You would think a designer would actually design his own clothes." I smirked.

"Enough of this titty twisting bullshit. Me and Guess have to get home to our women." Ruger announced his arrival.

"Where's your woman, Lucien?" Wyatt smirked. "I haven't seen her in a while."

"If you killed her, do not say anything. I can't represent you if you do." Guess started to cover his ears.

"I didn't kill her." I rolled my eyes. "She's in Phuket. On a 'ovary relaxation' trip."

"Are you sure we can't kill her?" Ruger mused. He was well aware of my stress levels. Trying to remain faithful and withholding climaxes was taking a toll on me.

"Because we can. I have a guy that can-" Cree joined in excitedly.

"We have the same connections hermano." I deadpanned.

"I'm just saying. She's rather useless." Cree shrugged, sipping his drink.
---

Harper
*

Did I mention how much I hate wheelchairs?

I loathe them. They're so big and completely unnecessary. My legs work just fine.

I tried to tell the nurse that. She just used her nasally voice to rattle off bullshit about protocol.

My clothes felt weird against my skin. The same dress that hugged my beach ball of a stomach, now ghosts across the baseball sized pudge. It instantly made me feel better. To know my body was returning to normal. Lucia sat in the carrier with her hands balled over her face. I felt her pain, the sun bothered me as well.

Eva pulled up in her car and immediately took over for the nurse. Once she had the baby in the car, I started my walk down the street. Placing my headphones in my ear, I ignored every call of my name.
---

Walking three blocks and to the second level of a building is not a good idea after you've just had a c-section. I probably should have listened to my doctor but, riding in the car with Eva was not going to happen.

I hadn't planned on talking to her. I was actually planning to run away from the hospital when a nurse caught me and asked for a complete check up on me. I was so ready to go until they said that I had to be escorted out.

They called Eva once I was cleared and she showed up immediately. I just had to play nice until I was far enough to start over.
---

My planning turned out to be complete trash.

I didn't account for any kind of pain or restrictions. The past two weeks just solidified my spot in the forever celibacy program. My doctor finally cleared me for light activity.

I'm still mentally fucked up. Most days I don't want to get out of bed. I get angry when people speak to me. I cry when they don't. The makeshift nursery glared at me daily. I hated myself for allowing Eva to keep the stuff in my spare room. Looking at baby things made my stomach flip. Even the word "baby" was enough to make me rigid.

I'm just a fucking mess.

Lucien tried to call me. How he got my number, I'll never know. I didn't answer; I called to get my number changed.

Week three is when my life went to shit.

A frantic knock on my front door jolted me out of my drug induced sleep. Not bothering to make myself presentable, I yanked open the door with an annoyed sigh.

A distraught Eva stood in front of me with tears in her eyes. She shook in panic. Before I could ask what was wrong, she shoved a bundle into my arms and mumbled something about not being able to do this.

It wasn't until a sharp cry sounded by my chest did I realize I was surrounded by baby supplies.

"I guess this is fate." I mumbled as I kicked the door closed.