26.Mine

"I really need your help. Meet me at the park on 21st at 2."

Why would he possibly need me?

I stared at the message for what seemed like hours.

He stood with his back facing me. His body seemed relaxed yet nervous. Like he was reuniting with his best friend.

"Mama," I hummed a response. "Who's that?" Lucia pointed toward him.

"A friend." I smiled.

I repositioned her on my hip and walked toward the breathing graffiti wall. He was staring off into space. He didn't even notice when I stood next to him.

"Hi." I said softly. He spun around quickly and exhaled.

"Hi." He smiled. "Oh my God she's beautiful."

Luci smiled and held the hand that brushed her cheek. My heart melted as the guilt crept into my throat. They never asked for this. Their relationship was just collateral damage.

"Thanks," I whispered.

We stared at each other. Intensely assessing our general health. His eyes lingered on my collarbone, no doubt looking at the fading hickey. I blushed, silently kicking myself for not wearing a different shirt.

Luci wiggled in my arms. I looked at her, she kissed my cheek and snuggled into me. I hugged her close to me. He smiled.

"Come with me." He reached his hand out. I repositioned Luci and took it.

We've held hands plenty of times before. We spent a lot of time together, it was only natural. This time was different. He held on tighter. Like he was afraid that I was going to run.

Can't blame him for that one.

We walked through the small playground to a dirt patch. There was a small boy with light curly hair. He looked close to Luci's age.

"This is my son, Chase." He mumbled, shoving his hands into his pockets.

Holy shit.

He has a kid.

Ruger has a kid.

The guilt came back full force. Our kids could have grown up together. It all made sense. He thought I was going to be overwhelmed. He was right.

I put Luci down and crouched down next to the little boy. Luci eyed him curiously before grabbing Ruger's hand. Her eagerness to be next to him didn't go unnoticed. When I would sit in the dark during my bad days, he'd come in and just talk to my stomach. I never paid much attention, but I guess his methods worked.

"Hi." I said in a light voice. The little boy smiled shyly. "What's that?"

"Truck." He chirped. He waved the dump truck in the air. I studied his face. He was darker than Ruger.

Just like Luci and him.

His hair was a light brown, almost blonde. His brown eyes sparkled with wonder.

"Eva?" I asked out. I could barely pull my attention away from him. He was just so beautiful.

"Yupp." Ruger replied, popping the p. "Thanks."

We were pregnant together.

"I thought." My words faltered.

"Well apparently the only sure way of knowing is to take a blood test." He chuckled. "Seventeen tests and not one of them popped positive."