29. Who Has Time To Argue

"I swear to God if you show up to this party hungover, I'll kill you." I growled.

Carson was on his way out for another guy's night. Ever since Ruger came into the picture, he's been jealous. Clingy and distant all at the same time. He liked to say it wasn't a problem, but I knew it was. He questioned everything, especially when Ruger bought a place so he wouldn't be in my apartment all of the time. Whenever I offered to take Chase with me, it was always an issue.

The only time he didn't complain was when CJ was with me. Just like right now.

"I told you that was a one time thing!" He yelled, causing me to flinch back.

"You drove drunk with your son in the car! I'm the one that just turned 22, I should be the one being irresponsible!" I shouted back. "Just go, if you're hungover, don't even bother showing up."

Done with the conversation, I walked back into the guest bedroom to see CJ watching a movie with Luci. She was sprawled out at the foot of the bed with her feet on CJ's back while drinking her juice. Her head was resting on Chase's lap as he stared into the screen. Instantly, my heart melted. The kids had a special bond and I refused to let the adults mess things up.

I backed away from the room just as the front door slammed. Kenya emerged in the hallway with a stern expression on her face. Koven ran toward me, giving me a hug. I guided him into the bedroom and nodded for Kenya to follow me.

"So what happened?" She asked getting straight to the point.

"He flipped out. Instead of expressing his feelings, he went straight into me being irresponsible and not knowing who Lucia's dad was." I ranted, pushing my hair back. Thoughts of our argument flooded my brain.

"Babe! I'm going out tonight." Carson announced, pulling his shirt down. I blank stared him as I continued to sort out the party favors.

"I thought you were going to help me with the finishing touches? Her party is tomorrow." I struggled to keep my frustrations down. He promised to help me last week since Ruger had an out of state job to do.

"The guys just called. It'll be a couple weeks before I can see them again. Lucia's only two she won't even remember what you're doing." He shrugged. "Why don't you call her dad or is Ruger still away?"

"Ruger is not her father." I glared, knowing his game.

"Then who is? Call him up, she's his child right? Do you even know her dad?" He smirked playfully, but his tone was deadly.

"I know who Lucia's father is and I don't appreciate your game. Not once have I thrown your single parenthood in your face, in fact, I took CJ in as one of my own. Whatever you need done for him, I do. Just like now, I'm keeping your kid while you're about to go drink your liver away for fun." I ranted, keeping my voice calm. I never wanted to hit someone as much as I wanted to hit him. Even Lucien wasn't this disrespectful and he denied Lucia at first.

"Why are you so stuck on me drinking?" He asked, his southern drawl slightly distracted me from the venom in his words.

"Because it's a problem! I watched my ex drink himself into a hole and I don't want that for you. I see how shitfaced you get. Sometimes you don't even recognize me or your son. Do you realize how bad it is to experience the hungover you? I hate lying to the kids because you broke a promise all because you're a grown ass man who still doesn't know his limits?" I choked out. I was done, he did a complete 180 out of nowhere and it was stressing me out.

"I'll be fine for tomorrow. I'm coming back tonight." He walked toward the front door.

****

"Are you happy with him?" Kenya asked slowly. I gave her a look.

"Sometimes. I just hate guys night and his welding conferences." I sighed, plopping myself down in the chair. "I try so hard to be the perfect mother figure to both of our kids, but it feels like I'm in this alone."

"How does he feel?" Kenya wondered, I could tell by the look on her face that she really didn't care about him.

"I honestly think he's still around out of convenience. He knows that even with the baby daddy jabs, I'll still be willing to work things out just so Luci can have a normal life." I admitted.

I had been struggling with that truth for so long. If Lucien was in Lucia's life, my life would lose its normality. I would be known as the billionaire baby mama. Lucia would be crowned the billion dollar mistake by a bunch of drama happy low lives. We would be written in history as the ones who ruined a marriage. I didn't want that for my kid. She didn't deserve anything. I deprived her father out of fear. Because of me, Lucien will never experience the joy of her firsts. Because of me, Luci might never experience a father's love.

Harper ruins everything.

"What do you mean by normal life?" Kenya inquired. A frustrated hand tangled into my hair.

"Luci's dad is a billionaire."
----------

"Glad you could make it, we were beginning to think the Mrs. locked you up."

"Ha ha, very funny. We ain't married." I glared at my coworker.

"Look out y'all, we got ourselves a badass." The guys chuckled at my annoyed expression.

"Just shut up and hand me a beer."

To say I didn't love Harper would be a lie. I did love her, she was the perfect woman. For someone. When we first met, I could tell she  had a wild side just waiting to escape. She was down for spontaneity and no was rarely in her vocabulary. To see her with my son and to see how much he loved her kept me in place. Aside from that, the attraction was barely there. Her inexperience often put me off sexually. Most guys enjoy the process of creating a sexual beast. I did not.

Then the homebody nature. I liked when my women dressed up just to see me. Like in the movies where the housewife is in heels and dresses with dinner on the table. I actually liked being the only one to see my woman's natural face, with Harper she barely wore makeup. I wanted to go out and show her off, but at the same time, I never went hungry nor did I need a babysitter because she was always preferred to stay at home.

I could list the pros and cons of our relationship all day, but it all boils down to: opposites don't always attract. We were both young and only one of us acted like it.

"When are you going to tell her?" Austin asked. Austin was the closest thing I had to a best friend. I always called him whenever I had problems. Though he's been divorced twice, the man was a hopeless romantic. He believed in soulmates and a load of bullshit you read in books.

"Tell who what?" I asked, taking a swig of my beer. I already knew, I just needed time to think of an answer.

"Tell Harper that you'd rather party than have a family." He answered evenly. I sighed, running my hand through my hair.

"I don't know." I finally answered.
-------

After Luci's party, I think we should take a break. Things aren't going how they should be and we need time to focus on ourselves.
Sent at 2:46 a.m.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Thoughts?

Feelings?

What do you think should happen? Is the relationship worth saving?