5. Odd Dates and Holidays

Have you ever had a Thanksgiving Date?

I have. It was easily one of the most awkward things I've ever experienced. The whole thing could have been avoided if Eva would have left me alone.

"You need to go on a date." Eva announced, opening a bottle of cranberry juice.

"Well hello to you, too princess." I teased, handing her a slice of chocolate cake. She happily grabbed it and shoved half of it in her mouth.

"It gets better every time." She moaned.

"You eat like a toddler." I observed, she shrugged. "Why do I need a date?"

"Who cares?" She took a smaller bite. "Because you're lonely and just don't know it."

I cocked my head at her. "I'm not lonely." I denied. She nodded.

"Yes you are." She challenged. "Here's proof: where am I going for Thanksgiving?"

"Your family's?" I guessed, not seeing where she's going.

"Wrong." She shook her head. "Ruger wants to official introduce me to his family."

"What does that have to do with me?" I asked, my confusion growing.

"Where are you going for Thanksgiving?" She leaned forward and laced her fingers together.

"I don't know." I wiped the counters. "I'll probably just hang at my place, you know, relax."

She sighed. "Exactly." She licked the icing from her fingers. "If you're not here or with me, you're alone."

But there's a fork right there.

"I have the gym." I added. She rolled her eyes.

"The gym isn't fun unless guys are there." She paused. "Eric doesn't count, he's married."

I groaned. "That still doesn't mean I need a date." I half-whined.

As if the universe disagreed with me, the bells chimed. I looked at the door to see a man, no more than twenty and an older woman. They both had bright green eyes and blonde hair. I gave them a warm welcome and gave them time to look over the menu. Eva was shooting lasers at the side of my head. I tried my hardest to ignore her.

"Excuse me," the woman called my attention.

"Yes ma'am?" I chirped, straightening my spine.

"What's your favorite thing here?" She asked, making complete eye contact.

"Oh ma'am, that's tough," I admitted. "But I'd have to say the cinnamon apple bars or the triple chocolate cheesecake."

The lady's face lit up at my answer. She clapped her hands and turned to the guy.

"She'll be perfect!" She exclaimed, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"Ma." He drawled.

"Sorry for interrupting," Eva leaned in. "How old are you?"

The guy rubbed his neck and looked to me for help. I gave a tight smile and pushed another piece of cake in Eva's vision.

"He's 21 and still single." His mother winked.

"Funny you should say that." Eva drawled. "So is she, still single that is."
----

So here I am, on Thanksgiving Day, dressed in pajamas, at Waffle House.

At least I get free waffles.

So far things have been awkward. We did the dance of the awkward in the elevator. Then again at the car.