15. God Plays Mean Jokes

"Have you thought of any names?" Eva's aunt asked, rubbing my disgustingly huge stomach. It was officially my due date and I was miserable.

I was put on bed rest for the entire month of May. I spent my twentieth birthday in bed eating fat free yogurt and watching A Bugs Life. I actually wound up having to quit my job anyway, leaving Lucien more than happy. And silent. I only get information about him from Eva or at my appointments.

The less I had to deal with, the better.

"Nope." I shrugged, bored with the conversation. She kept making faces at my answers, but still continued to ask questions. Eva had to tell her my due date because I had no idea.

"Well, do you know who the father is?" She asked with a slight edge in her voice.

"Tía!" Eva exclaimed. "You can't just say stuff like that. It's rude."

"It's fine." I waved my hand. "Yes, I do know him. And no we're not together. Yes, I know girls these days aren't respectable like the generations before. No, I do not care." I took a deep breath. Eva's aunt just gave me a tight lipped smile and turned her attention to her drink.

God, I would kill for a drink.

"Or a blunt." I grumbled to myself.

"Huh?" Eva asked caught off guard.

"Nothing." I shook my head, trying to get up.

I didn't even want to come here. She dragged me into interrogation hell and pretended like nothing was happening. And then it dawned on me.

She's using me as a diversion from her and Ruger.

"Come. Now." I hardened my voice. Eva gave me a confused look and followed me to the clearing where my Uber was supposed to come.

"What's wrong?" She finally spoke up.

"Did you bring me here as a cover?" I narrowed my eyes. Her eyes widened slightly at my question.

"N-no. Why would you say that?" Her voice went high.

"Because since I've been here, no one has even mentioned the tattooed tower glued to your hip. They want to know everything about this situation." I motioned to the mass extended from where my abs used to be.

I miss my abs, and feet, and small boobs.

Big boobs are overrated.

"That's not a situation," she pointed at my stomach. "That's a baby that will be in this world any day now. One that will-"

"Stop!" I held my hand up. "Don't flip this on me. Yes, I know I'm pregnant. No, I never wanted to be. Yes, I know you want to take her. But that's not the point." I took a deep breath and stepped away.

"The point is that you brought me here because you thought me being here would cushion the blow of you bringing home someone who doesn't fit their criteria. Well congratulations, E, you succeeded." I ranted.

"Harp-" she started.

"Don't Harp me, Eva." I cut her off. "After your baby is out of me, I want nothing to do with you."

As if on cue, my uber pulled up and I got in without a second look. As my driver pulled off, I leaned my head against the window. A pain shot through my stomach. I held the headrest and tried to breathe through it. Just as I got comfortable, the pain returned.

"Can you take me to the hospital instead?"
----

"Do you want to meet your daughter?"

That sentence broke the peaceful thoughts that were swirling in my head. I'm not sure how long I was asleep or if my entire life up until this point was a dream. The pain in my stomach quickly reassured me that this was real life.

I groaned and tried to curl into the darkness. I heard a sigh behind me and a soft door click. I waited a few minutes before I returned to my original position. I placed my headphones in my ears and closed my eyes.

"Harp, wake up." A stern voice demanded beside me. I opened an eye to see Eva holding my headphones in one hand and rocking the bassinet with the other.

I looked at the certificate taped to the bassinet.

Hi,
My name is:
Lucia Rae Everson.
I am:
8 pounds and 10 ounces.
I was born on:
June 17 at 11:11 p.m.

I looked at my wrist to see a slew of bands. They were mostly risk bands. I gave Eva a look. She held back tears as she rushed to hug me. I shrunk away from her touch. Sensing that, she moved back with a frown.

"So, you technically died." She sighed. I shrugged waiting for her to continue.

"You needed four pints of blood. Then you got really combative so they kept you sedated for a couple of days." I nodded, not remembering any of it.

A gurgling noise broke our silence. Eva rushed to pick up the baby. She gentle rocked her while making her way to me.

"I named her." She whispered. I remained silent.

All that I could think about was how close I was to finally finding my peace. It felt like every time I was there, someone was there to pull me out. I sighed.

At least I can leave now.

"Lucien said she reminded him of his grandmother." She commented, rocking the pink bundle of blankets. I glared at her.

"He said he was going to come back when you woke up. Should I call him?" I huffed and turned my attention to the window.

I ignored the pain in my hips as I attempted to roll on my side. I heard Eva sigh and light footsteps coming around the bed.

"She knows you." She sat down in front of me. "She calms down any time she's near you. You don't even have to speak. It's understood. You came to when she cried."

I sat there with a blank look on my face as she rambled. I still wasn't over the fact that she called Lucien. She was supposed to wait until it was out of my custody.

"I also told them that you would at least try to breastfeed. She did great but we decided to wait until you were awake to try again."

I felt my anger swell in me. She spoke as if it were the most normal thing in the world. She just admitted to having me violated for no reason. My chest heaved, my vision began to blur. I pressed the call button on the bed as my jaw clenched into place. A nurse came running in with a concerned expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Make sure she and her child don't come back in this room." I spat, leaning back in the bed.

The nurse frowned and wheeled the bassinet out of the room. Eva followed her with a pained expression. I felt no sympathy for her.

"Anything else ma'am?" The nurse asked grimly.

"Lucien Myles is not to enter this room either." I made my voice hard. The nurse nodded and pushed out. Eva came back to the door and wrapped her arms around herself.

"Harper, I'm-"

"Leave." I held up my hand. She gaped at my resistance.

"You know, Harp you'll come to your senses one day. That little girl needs love. She didn't ask for this. And you know how it is in the system. She doesn't deserve to go there because of two shitty parents. You can't keep pushing everyone away. There's going to be a day where we won't come back." Eva said, leaning against the door.

"Get out." I barked.

I can't wait to get discharged from this hell hole.