9. Word Vomit; Verbal Diarrhea

Harper
*

After my appointment, Eva was doing everything but shouting to the heavens. She skipped to the car and rambled about all the quality time the three of us were going to have. I stayed quiet for the most part. She insisted that we start buying stuff for a nursery. I agreed for her sake.

In reality, I was still pissed about her breaking into my apartment and waking me up. I guess it was safe to say that the other pills didn't stay in my system long enough to work their magic. But, I was almost free. I felt it. And then to have that moment of peace ripped out of your hands. It's depressing. I want to hate Eva for that. 

But do I hate her for caring, or do I love her for that same reason?

"Omg, Harp! Look!" Eva squealed, pointing to a newborn onesie.

It would have been cute if I wasn't in such a foul mood. It was white with pink and gold writing that said: though she be but little, she is fierce.

It spoke to my love of Shakespeare. I could picture a perfect little brown eyed baby with a pink bow in her hair, wearing that shirt. My baby. This thing in me isn't mine.

I sighed and forced a smile.

"You should definitely get it." She shoved it in my hands. "She probably won't be little for long."

I rolled my eyes and draped it over my arm. Eva gasped raced to a toy display. An employee finally noticed the giddy ball of fluff. She smiled and greeted us.

"New mom?" She asked. Eva nodded.

"We just found out she's having a girl." Eva chirped, pointing to me. The lady gaped.

"Wow, you're so tiny!" She exclaimed, rubbing my stomach. I shot a look to Eva. I backed away from the strange lady who gave a small frown.

"I know, right." Eva gushed. "I didn't believe her at first. But at we went to the doctor and sure enough, there's a baby in there. I'm so excited. I finally get to be an aunt."

I shifted awkwardly, counting the number of stuffed animals against the wall. The conversation was starting to irk me. All I wanted to do was eat an entire package of oreos and peanut butter and be left alone. I sighed as I attempted to tune them out. They rambled on and on about who knows what.

Thirty-five.

Thirty-six.

Thirty-seven.

Thirty-eight.

"Harp, we're getting these. I'm not taking a no for an answer." She gushed.

I looked up to see an "&Baby" display. Eva was sifting through the various designs before settling on a couple. She had a pile of clothes on her arm and a nursing pillow. I quirked an eyebrow.

"Just a few of the necessities." She stated off handedly.

I sighed as we headed to the checkout. I tried hard to let her enjoy the moment. But I can't let her keep going like everything is okay.

Especially since I'm not keeping it.

The car ride home was filled with even more baby chatter. She suggested spending the night listing things that we need and books we'll need to read.

"We can start getting diapers and stuff next week. Or we can get ideas tomorrow. You know, start a stockpile. Then we can start planning for the nursery. It's going to be so cute. Personally, I'd go with hot pink because pastel pink is so overrated or maybe we can do an ombre or-"

"Eva, I'm not even sure I'm keeping it." I blurted as we sat on my bed. She gave me a a deadly glare. I returned the stare.

Shit I didn't mean to say that.

Now she's never going to leave me alone.

"It's kind of late to abort her." She replied dryly.

"I mean, I'm almost positive I'm giving it up for adoption." I gritted out.

"Then I'll take her." She announced.

And I'll be long gone.

***************************************

Eva reveals that she wants to be a mother. Is she the motherly type?

Harper starts plotting for her own future.