34. Co-parent Not Cohabitate

Lucien
*

Lucia and I got closer when Harper finally broke up with the horse face she called boyfriend. I actually spent my birthday with my baby girl. She colored a picture of a tiger as my present. It was the greatest gift I ever received. I have it framed in my office, along with the countless pictures of us.

I've even introduced her to a few special people. We took a random flight out to Los Angeles one weekend to meet Tara and Charlie. Apparently Tara is one of Harper's idols because she almost fainted when she met Tara. Charlie and Lucia hit it off instantly. They sang and danced together, they even baked together. We left with promises of visiting Aunt Tara and TeeTee Char frequently.

Unfortunately when we got back, Harper changed. She started making up reasons why she couldn't hang with Lucia and I. There were times where she would hand Lucia to me or my brother and run away. She would purposely take extra shifts at work to keep from seeing me. It killed me to think that I made her uncomfortable. I needed to know what was going on. If I was to blame for her distance. When I confronted her about it, she cried. Seeing her cry made me feel even worse. I decided against pressing her for answers and just held her. The next morning, we pretending like the whole month never happened.

I got to see Lucia three times a week excluding the weekends. They usually spent those at my house anyway. Harper flat out refused to move in with me even though she and Lucia spend most of their time at my place. She mentioned something about children and lives intersecting.

"Lucien, I'm not going to say it again." Harper groaned as she unbuckled Lucia.

"Hi daddy!"

"Hi baby." Lucia leapt from the car seat.

"At least let me get you a new car." I offered, catching my external heart. She giggled and wrapped her tiny arms around my neck.

"No, Lucien. I don't need anything from you." Harper clipped. "Lucia, however, needs a little help."

I quirked an eyebrow at her for an explanation. She waved me off.

"In the house, her ears have been sensitive lately." She grabbed a purple folder with Lucia's face on it and walked toward my house. I sighed and tickled Lucia before following.

Harper was already in the kitchen mixing up a concoction for Lucia to drink. It usually had the vitamins that Lucia needed to take. Since Lucia is my blood, taking medicine comes with a fight. So Harper started making smoothies with the medicine mixed in. Lucia didn't seem to mind so, I left it alone.

I set Lucia down and watched as Harper frowned at the sippy cup in her bag. She tossed it in the sink and grabbed another one from the cabinet. She made sure to rinse it out thoroughly before pouring in the princess approved mixture.

Harper has been really germ conscious since Lucia caught strep throat the first week of school. That was the one and only time Harper agreed to stay with me for the week. And even though we slept in separate rooms, it was the best week of my life.

"You do know I know how to wash dishes, right?" I smirked, still leaning on the doorframe. She shrugged and called Lucia into the kitchen.

"Here baby." She handed her the cup. "You might have other kids I don't know about."

"Up please." Lucia sang. I groaned as I picked her up.

"You know you're the only one who has my seed, Harper, stop." I glared at her. She looked stressed. Her hair was twisted into a bun using a long sock and the slight bags under her eyes let me know just how little sleep she'd been getting.

She either needs a nap or sex.

She'll get both if it's up to me.

A few days after she became a single woman, we had an intense argument. That argument led to an incredible round of angry sex, that gave way to makeup sex, and goodbye sex. Now we just fuck for the hell of it.