28. Got Cake?

"Happy birthday mommy!"

I peeked from under the cover to see my baby cheesing in my face. I smiled and pulled her to me, giving her kisses. Kenya taught her the song and that was all she wanted to sing in the mornings. This time she got it right.

"Thank you baby." I cooed, tickling her stomach. Covering her in more kisses, we started to get ready for the day.

This was my second birthday with Lucia and she made everything better. Last year, I wanted to do a night in since she wasn't able to communicate properly. Kenya let it slide with the promise that this birthday would be different.

Carson met us in the kitchen. I laughed as he attempted to plate the ihop breakfast. He even poured the Starbucks coffee into a coffee mug.

"What's he doing, mommy?" Lucia asked, rubbing her eye.

"I think he's trying to deceive mommy on her birthday." I pouted, watching a startled Carson try to hide the bag.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, now sit." He pulled out my chair, kissing me softly. He picked Luci up and put her in her chair.

○○○○○○
Kenya

I picked up Lucia earlier so Harper and Carson could get some alone time. They seemed to like each other, but something felt off. He didn't seem as invested in the relationship.

Personally, I couldn't stand him, but I was happy that she put herself out there.

I had trouble doing that myself. I used to be quiet and shy, always fading to the background. Covi lucked out and caught me in pageant mode. I needed a few opinions on a dress and I asked his mother and a few other people.

There was a white dress that stood out the most. A gold, high neck bodice flowed into a white, floor length skirt. There was a hidden slit that gave peeks of my leg as I walked or posed. I felt like a queen and that was the mentality I needed. When I asked everyone how I looked, he replied "Like you're meeting me at the alter."

From there, I was head over heels. Covi was never my type. I always sought out the clean cut, ivy league guys. You know, the ones that are good for your image. Covi was none of that. In fact; he was smarter, more caring, encouraging, harder working than any guy I ever dated. He made his intentions known from the beginning and has tried to meet my expectations.

We have our own problems. A major one being kids. Koven came out of nowhere. We were reckless 20 year olds doing the absolute most. Still fresh in the relationship, I tried to end things with him and give Kove up for adoption, but Covi refused. He always loved kids and swore that any kid we had was planned by the fates.

That was almost six years ago.

"We should start trying for a new baby." He brought me out of my trance while running his fingers through a sleeping Luci's hair.

"Are we married?" I side eyed him before taking her to Kove's room. He was already asleep on top of the covers.

"You know I'm waiting on you." He shot, helping me get the kids situated.

"Let's not talk about this, today is a busy day and you have a party to spin for." I walked out with him following me.

"When are we ever going to talk? There's always -" I shushed him, hearing Lucia whine. I peeked my head in to see Kove kissing her head and holding her to him.

Maybe he does need a sibling.

*****

Harper

Auren and Kenya were in charge of getting me ready and so far, I was content. My sparkly black dress accentuated my body without suffocating me. My curled hair flowed down my back while my makeup was bold.

I actually felt 22 for the moment. Actually young and not just young looking.

Since I wanted to go out with the girls from my group, we decided that a dinner would be better for the ones who weren't able to be in a party environment. I didn't want to be the one tempting them to relapse.

Instead of a normal cake, a large tower of diabetic heaven appeared. The varying shades of soft pink and dusty rose were accented with white and gold. Eight tiers of cookies and cream sat beneath curtains of icing and sugar roses. Intricate lace and designs added to the beauty. In front of the note was a card covered in gold glitter.

My face molded into one of shock and by the looks of it, Kenya had no idea either. The ladies cooed as they wheeled it directly in front of me. Carson stood to the side silently observing.

Once they were ruled out, that left Ruger whose face held one of mischief.

"You did this?" I furrowed my brows as he shook his head slowly.

"Nope. Think harder." He grinned, handing me the gold envelope. "Open that later."

"I don't know anyone else." I frowned, sliding it in my purse.

"Happy 22 little one." He changed the subject with wide arms.

Who would gift me a cake like that?