Chapter 1 - A Walk In The Park

Prince's POV

Fall is my favorite season here in Minneapolis. While the cold winter weather keeps the bad people away, the gold, orange and red hues of fall are a beauty to behold and only reaffirm to me God's presence here on earth.

It's Friday afternoon at Paisley Park and everyone has pretty much left for the day. At this stage in my life, I know all too well the importance of family, as I miss having one, and I encourage my employees to leave by noon to start their weekend.

Since it's 1 p.m., I should head to the Little Kitchen and see about some lunch...that should kill about 30 minutes.

As I stroll into the kitchen, I turn on the television and start up Netflix to catch up on my New Girl episodes.

"Let's see what Chef Ray has left me for this weekend." Rubbing my hands together in delicious anticipation. "Ahhhh YES...eggplant lasagna...one of my favorites! That Ray sure does take care of me."

As I cover and reheat the lasagna, I started to think about my state of loneliness and actually speak out loud, as if someone would actually reply, "Why have you become so tucked away in your life Prince? How are you going to get out of this funk of solitude?" I sat quietly, just me, my thoughts and my delicious lunch.

After cleaning up, I decided to walk over to Lake Ann Park. If I'm going to be alone I might as well be alone amongst other people and watch them live their lives.

"Oh Nelson stop being so melodramatic with your bitterness," I mumble and chuckle to myself. "I can't become a grumpy old man just yet." Slipping on my wedge sneakers, jacket, skully hat and sunglasses, I head out the door.

I really enjoy walking over to Lake Ann because it's easily accessed from Paisley Park, the Audubon Road underpass connects me to the park's loveliness. Very often I walk or ride my bike over to commune with nature, people watch, and of course, revel in my solitude that has become too much of a norm these days.

As I enter the underpass, it feels like all of my lonely thoughts are echoing in my head, just as a voice would in the tunnel.

"Nelson...when are you going to put yourself out there? Why have you detached yourself from so many people? Isn't it about time to try and find someone to share the rest of your life with?"

Upon exiting the underpass, the echoes of questions in my head cease as I take in the breathtaking colors of the trees that line the left side of the path. I remind myself to take in this spectacle of color because soon a couple of rains will hit, the leaves will fall and these vibrant colors will be all but a memory.

I walked up to the lake and look down to gaze at my reflection. "For 53, you still look pretty good Nelson," I mutter to myself.

Sure age has affected my appearance, a little crows feet around the eyes when I smile but other than that my clean diet and my non belief in time is keeping me look'in good. Focusing little closer, hairdresser Kim was right to have me get rid of my afro. All that hair was overwhelming for my face and a crutch to hide behind. My clean cut look has me looking younger and more distinguished once again.

As I begin to walk around the lake, I come to a clearing and see a woman playing tag with two boys. After observing it becomes apparent she is their mother as the younger boy yells, "You can't catch me Mommy! I'm too quick for you!"

She isn't running at full speed so that her boys can feel fast, the thoughtfulness of the maternal instinct. The boys' giggles are such pleasant sounds, sounds that I so wish I could have enjoyed in my life, but I guess that was not in God's plan.

Not far away from the three, is park bench where I plant myself offering a view of the lake and the ability to enjoy watching the threesome's antics.