Chapter 24 - New Year's Eve

Isabella's POV

It's New Year's Eve and we are having a family day this afternoon and into the evening. BUT, before we do that, Prince and I have our 12 week ultrasound with Dr. Barring and my stitches check up with Dr. Sheffield.

As we clean up the breakfast dishes, I drop a plate, cut myself and yelp.

"Damn it."

Prince grabbed some papers towels and put pressure on the cut.

"Isa I know you're nervous for today, but I want you to try and relax, everything is going to be ok...tell me what you're so worried about."

"Prince I don't even want to breathe it aloud and jinx us."

While still holding onto my cut, he counseled. "If you say what you're worried about, it loses the power over you."

I mockingly mouthed his words back to him. "Oh you did not just do that." [him laughing] I joked.

"I know you're right. It just sounds like you've been watching Dr. Phil or something." [we laughed]

We walk to the bathroom and he obtained the first aid kit. After rinsing the cut in cold water, he starts to dab the antiseptic tenderly.

Vulnerability overtook me and I decide to share my past experience of losing my first child.

"The first time I was pregnant, Chandler and I went to our initial ultrasound appointment and found out that our baby girl no longer had a heartbeat. I was naive; I didn't even know that a no heartbeat was a possibility without having other symptoms like cramping or bleeding. It's called a missed miscarriage."

"How did you know it was a girl so early?"

"They did chromosomal testing to determine what happened, so technically I found out that information after the pathology report came back. Our daughter was a Trisomy 8 baby which doctors typically never see these babies even implant into the uterus. Our baby...she lasted eight weeks."

"That feeling of the ultrasound specialist quickly flipping the monitor away from Chandler and me and calling in the doctor...that feeling I've never shaken. The emotionally unattached doctor at the time flatly told us, 'I'm sorry, there's no longer a heartbeat.'

"I was so distraught. The ultrasound was on the day before Christmas and I had to wait until after the holiday, which was over a long weekend, to have a D & C. The other option was to wait for my body to naturally expel the tissue...that's what they called it...tissue. It was our daughter. I don't know why I agreed to have an ultrasound before a holiday again...what was I thinking?"

Prince listened intently while he bandaged my hand and then he led me to our bed.

"Isa I understand that you're very nervous. Truthfully, I am a too. It's truly out of our hands how this will play out. Let's pray together."

Prince grabbed both of my hands and said, "Look at me Isa. We can do this...together."

Prince began:

"Dear God, please bless us this morning and calm our fears regarding Your beautiful gifts Isabella is happily carrying. Bring peace to Isabella and my heart so that we may receive news, good or bad, knowing that Your guiding hand is involved in our life plan. Lord, please bless Isabella. Keep her body, mind and spirit strong so that she's able to support and nurture these angels. I humbly ask that You bless me so that I have the strength to support and care for Isabella in every way through our pregnancy. Last, Lord...please bless me with patience, love, and a nurturing and guiding hand and heart so that I am the father that Thad and Sebastian need. In Your name we pray. Amen.