Happy Holidays!

Max POV

I remember last year. Untangling the Christmas lights and stringing them across our house. "Ross, where do you want the tree?" I asked him. "In the living room, we can move the couch over a little." Now I sit in my apartment, alone. My clothes were thrown every where. Funny how things can change so quickly. "Maxy, I have to go back to New York to visit some family." Then next thing I know, he's texting me how he thinks we should take a break. Nice one Ross. At least tell me the truth and just run off with your love. I take another sip of the vodka in my hand and feel it burn my throat. The mistletoe that we used to kiss under, the hot cocoa we used to share, it's all pointless.

Why didn't he care like I did? Or maybe it was that I cared too much. I thought he was so happy,. so content with what I gave him, but all I got was nothing. He didn't smile in the end, something I had known him to never stop doing.  Family time meant us. My parents are both dead and my siblings hate me for being gay so I don't have anyone else. It was just Ross and I. Well, at first at least. Then we got a kid, Addison. She was adorable, a 2 year old with blonde hair that was always so soft. We both fought, and she saw.  She cried out for me, but Ross held her back, not wanting her to see the monster I am.

I was holding the shattered liquor bottle to my stomach, not knowing my own actions at the time. It was almost like I was being controlled by another person. I attempted to push it into my skin but Ross stopped me. He gripped my wrists, telling me to stop. I let go of the bottle and fell to the floor. I stood slowly, hoping to be comforted by my husband. "Max," he said very quietly. "I'm done with this. I can't risk the well being of Addy while you sit here and wallow in your own created pain." My heart slowly shattered as he turned around to meet Addison in front of him. "Sweetie, go put your coat on." She shook her head in denial and tried walking towards me. "I want Daddy." She said, making grabby hands. Ross sighed and picked her up. "NO, I WANT DADDYYY!!" She yelled, kicking her feet into Ross. He continued to the door and set her on the ground.  Bad choice. She turned around and ran towards me with open arms. I held my arms out, wanting to hug her. Ross ran over and scooped her up before she could get to me. "YOU'RE BAD DADDY. I WANT NICE DADDY." She wailed. And just like that, my world and its little stars were gone.

Christmas is supposed to be about family. At least, to those who deserve it.