Chapter 5

That evening we camped out in the Cindy park. It's basically just a big open field with a demolished park in the centre. Hakim, Liam, Denis, and June head towards the forest to gather wood for a fire. Emad, Tai, Olivia, and Sydney go and search for dead leaves, twigs, and stones. While they are setting out to do so Me, Halley, Brooke, and Ewan set up the camp. All it is, is a place marked where the fire pit will be and just our bags and belongings in a pile by the tall oak tree. Shortly after, they all arrive with the stuff for the fire and everyone throws their bags on the ground and gathered to start the fire. Tai squats down and starts to light a match he had from his match box that he grabbed from home.
________________________________
The sun has been down for a while now. I'm really bored and trying to stay awake. I'm on night patrol with Halley and June, everyone else is sleeping. We each take turns once someone wakes up. I lay down and try to count the stars wondering what will happen next and where my family is wether they're alive or not. I have a big doubt they are alive. All I want is to make sure my brother is okay and doesn't get hurt and same with my friends. I don't want to be alone. I slowly feel my eyelids shut but seconds later I feel a burn to the side of my arm. "Ow!" I say. I look at my arm and realize that Halley slapped me to keep me awake. "Thanks." I say. She smiles. I notice that she has been really quite and not herself. I can't blame her though she only has her step sister, June, and us. She has been through a lot just like all of us. I'm lucky to still have my brother. She wakes up Tai and he takes over, as she lays down and sleeps. Next it's June's turn, then me. I volunteered to stay up the latest because I wouldn't be able to sleep. To many thoughts. Too many things I have seen. Halley almost dying, my brother hurt, my parents missing, dead bodies everywhere around the school. Lots of thoughts. In little time. Tai looks around at everyone with a blank face and sits beside the fire. June gets up and wakes up Denis and goes to sleep. I look across from me at Tai and said "How are you doing? You know with all of this going on at once?" He looks up. "I don't know. It's hard not knowing what's coming next. But I'll be fine." He forces a half smile. Denis walks over towards the fire and sits down. "This can't be happening." He says. Halley sits up and walks over. "Well it is, so deal with it." She grumbled. She heads over towards the bags by the tree, and sits down. "What's the deal with her?" Tai replies. "Give her a break. We have all been through lots. I'm not sure. But give her space and wait, she will be feeling more normal soon. None of us are like we usually are." I argue back. It is a very long silent pause until I walk over and sit next to my brother who is now awake. " I can't sleep Bry." "I don't think anyone is really sleeping. I know I can't." I hug him and say "It's almost morning. Last Denis checked it was 4:30am. I pick him up and carry him towards the warm fire. Denis looks at they sky then his watch. "It's 5:00. We should wake them up and start to head off at 6:00.