Chapter 40-/-Guess who's back?

"I'll go get it. You stay here and guard the door!" I yell to Max. He nods his head. "Just be fast." He replies. I run upstairs and search the room I once had my backpack in, I couldn't find it. Shoot! Where did it go!? "Bryanna! Please hurry! I can't hold them for much longer!" He shouts from downstairs. I sneak under the bed and see a tiny wooden elephant. "GOT IT!" I yell to Max. I put it in my backpack and run downstairs. We bolt out of the house with many Spreaders chasing us from behind. "Max! Over there!" I point to the pretty lake across the green land. There are two kayaks and oars. "Let's go!" Max says. Why didn't we think of this sooner?! Spreaders can't swim! Everyone knows that! I push my kayak into the water and grab my oar. Max gives me a boost and I head out farther. "Hold on! My kayak is stuck!" He says wordily. Oh no! Spreaders catch up and are almost here. I paddle back into shore and jump out. "What are you doing?!" He asks concernedly. "Saving your life. Go!" I yell. He floats away from the shoreline as I hop back in. I grab my oar once again, and paddled with all my might. One Spreader manages to grab my hoodie but before it has a chance to get me, Max sacks it in the side of the head. We head off into the foggy lake.
*************
*crow
*crow
*quiet waves
Huh?
What?
Where am I?
"Bryanna. Are you awake? We found an island last night and slept in our kayaks. You were half awake." Max told me. Now that I think of it, I do remember. Once we got our far enough, it was getting rough and we were tired so the next island we found, we pulled our kayaks onto the brown sand, and had a fire. I fell asleep and was out like a light. I look around the island. It's now early in the morning. I continue to hear the ravens crow and the peaceful calming water splashing quietly onto the shore. I try to be as calm and happy as possible, but something still lurks in my mind. "What do we do now?" I ask Max. He makes a cute smile that makes me smile. "You know what Bryanna? For once, I think we should just chill. Hang loose. Then tomorrow we'll figure something out." "Deal." Him and I shake hands as he grips my hand he throws me into the shallow water. "Max! No fair!" I grab his leg and he falls into the cold water as well. We both burst out into laughter. I haven't had this kind of fun for a while. It feels..... nice.