Silent Water Bottle Challenge

We got back to Hayes house just after the sun went down. He held the kitchen door open for me and we walked into the house.

Elizabeth was at the stove cooking dinner. Whatever she was cooking smelled heavenly. "Hey you two," she said."Hi," I replied.

Hayes didn't say anything he just went straight to the refrigerator and grabbed a water bottle. He tossed it at me than grabbed one for himself. I opened it and chugged half of the bottle.

I hadn't drank anything since I left my house this morning then I spent all day outside in the hot sun so I was extremely thirsty. I could tell that Hayes was too because he drank the entire bottle in one minute flat.

"Where did you guys run off too? I couldn't find either of you," Elizabeth inquired. She reached up and grabbed a bag of sea salt from the cabinet above the stove. She then started to sprinkle some in to the pot. "Woods," Hayes replied. "Ah," she hummed.

Hayes threw the empty water bottle he was holding into the trash can across the room. It went straight into the metal can making a ringing sound as it hit the bottom of the can. He then looked at me smiling. I took that as a challenge.

"Olivia you can stay for dinner if you want," Elizabeth told me. She had grabbed some plates and silverware, and was starting to set the table in the middle of the kitchen. "I would love to, but I should head home. Can I take a rain check?" I asked.

I tossed my water bottle into the trash can after I had finished it. It also went straight into the can making another ringing sound echo through the room. I glanced at Hayes smiling then looked back at Elizabeth.

"Of course. Anytime you want to," She said smiling at me. "Thank you," I replied. Elizabeth grabbed the pot that she had been stirring, and put it on the table on top of a potholder. "You're very welcome dear," She said wiping her hands together to get off the flour that had been on them off.

"I'm gonna go home, but would it be okay if I came over tomorrow?" I asked hoping that it would. "You never have to ask just pop in when ever. That's what all of Hayes' friends do," She replied.

I couldn't help the small smile that spread across my face. Of course Hayes noticed and snickered. "Thank you. See you tomorrow," I said ignoring the fact that Hayes had not taken his eyes off of me nor stopped smiling since his water bottle fell into the trash can.

"I'll walk you to the door," he suddenly spoke up. "Okay," I replied. I could see Elizabeth leaning up against the stove, holding a cup of sweet tea, listing to us with a smile on her face.

Hayes and I walked towards the front door. When we got there Hayes opened the door for me and, said, "See you tomorrow." I shared a smile with him then went out the door and started to make my way home.

My mom was at our kitchen table eating when I walked in my house. "Foods in the microwave. It should still be hot," she said when she saw me. I went over to the microwave and grabbed my plate, that she had already, made out of. I then joined my mom at the table.

Published
February 28 2017